Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autorouter updates (merged)

how do you tell autorouter to take wind forecast into account?

EGKB Biggin Hill London

In the advanced tab under the basic information for requesting a route: use GFS wind forecast

Frequent travels around Europe

Ok I see it.

Can I activate that for an existing flight plan in the system that I created previously or do I need to start over again?

EGKB Biggin Hill London

Read WiKi and FAQ which contain the answers to quite a few questions. I cannot remember having struggled finding out these things.

For me the router took a little getting used to because I came to it from EuroFPL and there were some features of the router that I found limiting my freedom to edit routes, speeds etc. But with a little experience I have now figured out these things and would now not even be able to tell you exactly what they were.

One thing that took me a little time to figure out was that in order to edit some parts of the flight plan I needed to uncheck the “Show route only” checkbox.

There are lots of ways to tune the router in the advanced parameters, including fly-by waypoints if you want to force route over a specific point. I’ve used that to avoid areas of forecast convection.

In order to make the most out of the autorouter you really need to enter the W&B and performance data of every aircraft you fly, but you can share these profiles with others.

One weakness is in the computation of alternates. It always assumes a direct route to the alternates so the fuel required ends up (in my examples) significantly lower than it should. You need to make up for that by bringing additional fuel.

I once signed up for the AeroWeb app and played around with it a little bit, but do not have any practical experience with it.

LFPT, LFPN

Cirrus_Man wrote:

Can I activate that for an existing flight plan in the system that I created previously or do I need to start over again?

Wind forecasts are always applied for briefing packs etc. The checkbox enables wind forecast to be considered during route finding.

LSZK, Switzerland

It look like autorouter have a coverage until Mauritania. Is there any chance it’s cover Senegal one day ?

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

We draw a rather arbitrary rectangle around our worldwide airport database. For route portions outside the Eurocontrol area, we do not know if they make sense. We have navdata but no deeper knowledge.

What would you use autorouter for in Senegal?

I’m going there next week.
It’s not to use it as filing solution. (we are going VFR) but i’d like to have the possibility to get a briefing pack it’s really useful…

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Autorouter & Telegram make the job easy

Flew to Carlisle (EGNC) yesterday. Filed IFR through Autorouter. Immediate confirmation of filing-absolutely brilliant. Now all I had to do was get to the airfield and get everything ready for my EOBT. This was a problem in the past but not now with Autorouter linked to Telegram instant messenger. Delays and cancellations can be initiated at will. As I operate from a non towered airfield, I normally telephone Essex radar to confirm they have the flight plan, and get a sqauwk code assigned before take-off. After getting the aircraft out of the hangar I got a message via Telegram informing me that my code was xxxx- brilliant. Now I didn’t need to phone them, but I did anyway as I couldn’t quite believe this technology was that good. I needn’t have bothered, they confirmed the flight plan and sqauwk. After takeoff and initial contact with Essex Radar I was told to “climb flight level 070”. It was just as if I had switched to departure from a towered airfield.

Afterwards it was London control and climb FL100. The only thing that surprised me was that when I was north of POL vor, abeam Morcambe, London control informed me I was leaving controlled airspace and switch to Warton Radar. They had all the details and retained the same sqauwk so we continued as though with London. Once again I cannot praise the Autorouter team enough for making the filing and instant messenger service through Autorouter, such a user friendly tool. It makes AFPEX a nightmare!

Last Edited by Propman at 20 Apr 14:22
Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

Completely agree. It’s one of those things (like a Mac), that works so well that you easily forget all the trouble of using what was there before.

EGBB
Sign in to add your message