Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 340

Sorry, MEP of course.

A friend of mine is in exactly the same situation: flying only privately, but does have an ATPL and an MEP, and wants to keep this valid, should a good occasion for changing jobs come along. He goes to Stuttgart once a year (same place where he got his ATPL/MEP, of course) and flies the Seminole for the test, thus renewing his MEP and IR. Costs him almost 1000 Euros all-in, but hey, on a Cessna 340, you can’t even have one tyre changed for 1000 Euros…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

flies the Seminole for the test, thus renewing his MEP and IR. Costs him almost 1000 Euros all-in, but hey, on a Cessna 340, you can’t even have one tyre changed for 1000 Euros…

I get that and I slowly come to understand the different options (thank you EuroGA). Combine that now with the desire to fly in holidays and maybe sometimes for business inside Europe for several days – not possible with my current renting situation, they just don’t let you take the plane for days or a week without flying it all the time because they want to make money. So what I am left with is sharing a airplane with some people (or financing one fully myself which is not an option for me) and normally earning people around me can probably afford an investment of say 70-100k and 20k per year but not 250k in the beginning. So SET is out of the question at the moment which leaves me with a SEP or a MEP and I find MEP a better option for me (with all the culprits discussed). Very similar thinking to ortac who started the thread.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Costs him almost 1000 Euros all-in, but hey, on a Cessna 340, you can’t even have one tyre changed for 1000 Euros

IMHO this revalidation cost/hassle is largely what demolished the piston twin rental scene, and driven the booming (well, was booming until some years ago) business in higher-end SEPs like the SR22.

Not sure about the €1000 tyre change… why so much?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Not sure about the €1000 tyre change… why so much?

This is rather what one can expect for a Citation tyre change.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Vladimir wrote:

not possible with my current renting situation, they just don’t let you take the plane for days or a week without flying it all the time because they want to make money

Err. You never asked :)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

You never asked

Actually I did and I got a one time exception for 3 days (flying only on 2 of them) because I paid them a lot of money for my training. I am talking about my MEP renting options

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

MEP renting options

These are extremely hard to come by, IME. More or less the only charter possibility in my area is the flight school where I did my training. They hire out a DA42NG for 7,90 Euros/min. I really cannot justify that price to myself.

Compare that to a C172/G1000 that goes for a bit more than 3 Euros/min. It’s a pitty there are no offers in between.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria
87 Posts
Sign in to add your message