Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ferry tank discussion (merged)

Well on COPA its 50/50. For one half of the people there any European is a communist, the other half are modern and liberal people, just like most of us here.

It’s fine to throw caution to the wind if you can cover the worst case outcome out of your pocket. I don’t see how personality comes into it, unless one extends the debate to whether it is OK to get wiped out financially (and probably personally too).

So it is fine to not insure the hull value if you can just buy another plane. And, in the long run, you must lose money on insurance because to argue the opposite is to say that insurance companies lose money, which of course they don’t. And some people don’t insure the hull value – because they can just buy another plane. So I never buy extended warranties of goods.

The problem is passenger liability and 3rd party liability. These can be almost unlimited. You cover the former by flying alone. The latter is doable on say a ferry flight over remote areas or water; you better just not taxi into a bizjet

The problem I see with an unapproved ferry tank installation is if you fly with it all the time, or regularly. I know of pilots who do that (nobody posting on EuroGA) though they tend to not use the rubber (bladder) tanks; they use rigid ones. I looked into that too but didn’t do anything about it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What don’t you get about having a bonafide Engineer validating an installation – as opposed to just tossing in a 100 gall

My point is that you are equally screwed in case of a crash with 100 gallons of fuel in the cabin, even with the paperwork.

My point is that you are equally screwed in case of a crash with 100 gallons of fuel in the cabin, even with the paperwork.Quote

Well, not if the paperwork has been produced by an authorized delegate for aircraft certification. In that case, the paperwork would describe a system which meets all the crash load requirements, and will keep the fuel contained during the forces specified in the design requirement for a crash.

Happily, no one has ever crashed a plane into which I have approved a ferry fuel system (both Turtle Pac, and other tanks). So I have no wet clients. I do have a few dead clients though, but everything I approved in the cabin stayed put, and was not the cause of their death. A formal evaluation of the modification, and documented approval (for whatever that may be for the local authority), is a pretty good indication that the aircraft will be safe, and provide the level of personal protection expected from any certified aircraft. An aircraft which has been through a formal design review, and was approved, will not screw you…..

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

achimha wrote:

achimha 30-Aug-15 19:19 #77
Eugene, this is about the only English language pilot forum in the world where there is no strong majority of dyed-in-the-wool NRA Republicans A lot of us appreciate Obama Care and believe it is actually still only a fraction of what the government should provide… On the US forums, I always feel like the only communist

Achim you have to understand that the reason the US is screwed up regarding healthcare is a direct result of insurance companies meddling in the political system. I have been on both sides of the fence on that and have been in healthcare long enough to have seen the changes or its metamorphoses. The patient is nowever on the priority list, when the govt makes laws and rules. You have to understand, the patient does not have a lobby (throw money at the politicians) to have things done in their favor. Whistleblowers are put into prison or financially ruined or both under the same guy who said as a candidate, that they should be thanked for their courage. Think Snowden. The country with the help of those 12 monkeys on the court has devolved from any social high ground to feed the corporations.

By the way our corrupt system is heading your way via TAFTA. All done behind closed doors. I think this is how it will go down. It comes out of the closet and it has to be voted on in 24 hrs. Nevermind the legislature only has a limited amount of time to study a 1000 page document. Thats how things are done in the US. Id be interested if the same thing happens here. If it does you know your politicians have been bought off.

I can guarantee you Obama already has a speaking engagements scheduled to the insurance industry when he becomes a private citizen.

If more countries followed the US lead in how to become millionaires after leaving office, there would be less dictators for life around the world. After all our system gets what you want and its safer too. Hint Hint Saddam Gaddafi Papa Doc Mubarak Idi Amin etc

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

If more countries followed the US lead in how to become millionaires after leaving office, there would be less dictators for life around the world. After all our system gets what you want and its safer too.

An interesting take on the problem…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In the RV-14 we’re building, we want the option of ferry tanks.

The Vans plans show an optional fuel return line from the engine that we won’t be using. It would be relatively easy to use these lines to feed from a quick disconnect via a duplex fuel selector so fuel is always being fed back to the tank it was coming out from.

Does this make sense? Would you plumb it so fuel is always fed back to the active tank or the inactive tank?

EGEO

I believe @pilot_dar knows something about this topic.

I vaguely recall that in a low wing plane one feeds fuel to the inactive tank, but there must be a variety of installations.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

jwoolard wrote:

In the RV-14 we’re building, we want the option of ferry tanks

Lucky you – no need to get approvals !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

Lucky you – no need to get approvals !

You say that … actually we do need to get this approved in the UK, but the approvals process is broadly sensible and mostly efficient.

EGEO
Sign in to add your message