Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR20 info

What else is there?

The SR20 is massively underpowered, the C182 is very well powered. I don’t think such a transition would make anybody happy.

Well, you are completely changing aircraft generations. Aerodynamics, avionics, ergonomics, speed.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Is there any sense in buying this machine?

Tough to say. First of all, I would never buy a used plane from Spain. But that’s just me.

Re the SRV: I think that problem # is re-selling.

Problem #2 might be this: Cirrus aircraft are bought and flown by touring pilots. Ambitious touring pilots. Doing some tours with it, being constrained to VFR, will lead most of their owners to the conclusion that they do want IFR. Especially now that the IR has become more attainable. That might happen to you too, even if you don’t believe so today.

And at that point, you will again be faced with problem #1…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Sep 10:54

I would never buy a used plane from Spain

Why not, versus some other country?

Adequate due diligence is very hard on international purchases but why Spain specifically?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not Spain specifically. Southern Europe in general.

I just wondered why.

If I wrote that I would be hammered into the ground

Administrator

Evo400, prehaps it might be an option to find one more group member and buy a late 2005 G2 with the repack complete? Not sure SRV is a good choice.

I’ve been on the italian GA scene for 7 years and found the aircraft there in catastrophic condition on average. Poor maintainance, poor general care, junk avionics. Has to do with lacking skills maybe (as a result of having a very small GA scene/industry), maybe to some degree with lacking money, maybe to a certain even with mentality.

I have see a few aircraft based in Spain and they are the same. Just walk the rows of aircraft parked at say Muchamiel or Cuatro Vientos. If not, just look at some for sale ads from Spain. Most aircraft have faded paint, totally crazed windows, torn up interior and very poor avionics. Of course this applies more to old aircraft than to newer ones. But I just wouldn’t have any confidence with that.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Sep 12:28

I think this is worth a new thread on how to do a “more tricky” prebuyhere

I would not buy a VFR-only version of an “obviously IFR-capable plane” unless I was incredibly sure I will never ever ever want to acquire IFR capability. I don’t think a newcomer to GA can ever be that sure…

Administrator

When I bought my SR22 I had a look at three airplanes from southern Europe, (virtual) one in Italy, two in Spain. The condition of all of them was so bad that you could see it in the photos. Two of three of these only 6 or 8 year old planes had (obviously) never been hangared, the paint was bad, many metal parts (flap and aileron hinges for example) were so corroded that it showed well in the pictures, the interiors were damaged by sun, the windows were bad.

The documentation was not complete, maintenance records were missing, SBs were not done … All that and the complicated rules (Spain) prevented me from buying one of those.

Sign in to add your message