Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

iOS9

I think that most people use a computer in a way which would enable them to dump it in the trash, walk into a supermarket (or the Apple shop, etc) and buy another one, and be fully up and running within an hour.

It is probably true because all my computers, iPhones and iPads are 100% backed up all the time (Time Machine for OSX and iTunes backup for iOS).

And of course I use Dropbox aswell, I have a professional solution with 1 TB of storage and I have all my professional stuff in there – so i can access it everywhere. I try (but never really manage 100%…) to have only the applications on the various Macs in my three offices so i can access everything everywhere …

I use the latest OS on all my devices and computers and also always the latest iOS. I update everything. And you know what? Except an occasional small bug that is quickly repaired everything works. Ok, once my BT didn’t work for a couple of days. But that wasn’t a big affair, I used the internal GPS instead.

I completely believe that this works for you but it merely shows that different people attach different values to dealing with hassle.

Over many years I have gone to a lot of trouble – mostly without realising it – to eliminate hassle from my life and to give myself time to do things I enjoy. This ranges from using old and proven hardware and software (which does exactly what I need, otherwise I would use something else) to mixing only with people who are straight and don’t feed me bullsh1t.

Plus, probably, we use a different set of apps in our daily life. I run some unusual stuff… PCB design, etc (actually that program is from 1995!).

I think that most people use a computer in a way which would enable them to dump it in the trash, walk into a supermarket (or the Apple shop, etc) and buy another one, and be fully up and running within an hour.

And I am not talking about somebody clever enough to use say dropbox to create a very mobile working environment. I am talking about people who do everything in MS Orifice – docs, emails, the lot. The kinds of people who one day start sending you everything as winmail.dat and have no idea what they changed

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

ForeFlight released a message stating that with the exception of one very minor glitch (which they have already fixed, but the update isn’t on the App store yet), everything works in iOS9. I’ll still wait for the for the next update (9.1 or whatever), though…..

Hmmm ….

You know what I do?

I use the latest OS on all my devices and computers and also always the latest iOS. I update everything. And you know what? Except an occasional small bug that is quickly repaired everything works. Ok, once my BT didn’t work for a couple of days. But that wasn’t a big affair, I used the internal GPS instead.

A mission critical computer won’t have a web browser on it

And if it does, it can be a current 3rd party one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I have a big sticker on the Ipad2 “DO NOT UPDATE” because at least two really useful apps will stop working

This may be impractical for devices you use on a day to day basis (this wouldn’t be an issue iPad you just use as a VFR GPS for instance). There are a number of protocol level security flaws in SSL, so past next June or so you may find lots of websites simply stop working with certain devices. PCI-DSS (security standard for taking credit cards) already requires that SSL not be used at all (no version of SSL is considered secure any more since SSL 3.0 was broken last year) and will require TLS <1.1 be turned off next June since TLS 1.0 will no longer be considered secure. Many older browsers don’t support TLS v1.1 and above and will simply stop working with sites that use encryption. Increasingly, more and more sites are using https by default.

Andreas IOM

Bad Elf says it should be ok with Bluethoot

http://bad-elf.com/pages/cleared-to-update

regards

Supposedly iOS 9 has a low-power mode that increases battery life on all applicable devices. That might be handy.

But yes, it’s like aircraft: never fly the A-model of anything….

@what_next – IOS updates always turn on every battery-consuming feature to ensure that the latest OS looks flashy and any new features are not hobbled by features that have been switched off previously. If you don’t need these flashy features, you can turn them off. Some are more obscure than others… Bluetooth (obvious, but a lot of people seem to leave it on all the time) to Reduce Motion (obscure) but all have an impact on battery life.

Here’s a handy list of things to check if your battery life seems short (ignore the references to iPod and iPhone3G in the URL): http://ipod.about.com/od/iphone3g/tp/iphone-battery-life.htm

EGTT, The London FIR

I always wait until the first or second update to the, ahem, update. By then it’s usually stable…..

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message