Banner
Welcome to our forums

Gaps in clouds closing up in front of you

I took this funny video this morning

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Awesome! I love cloud surfing.

London Area

Very nice. Is there a way to predict beforehand whether that specific cloud would generate so little turbulence or do you actually have to approach it to find out?

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

Most clouds like that move around, if you watch them for a few minutes, so a gap which takes say 10 mins to reach will likely be gone by the time you get there.

If a gap does close up at the last moment (like the one in that video was doing) just set the heading bug and carry on with the heading, and you “should” pop out the other side fairly quickly.

On top (no pun intended) of that, stratus tops rise during the day, so you have to climb up and up all the time.

There is close to zero turbulence above these cumulus clouds. Their tops form where the air has run out of energy. 100ft out is totally smooth. 100ft inside is rough as hell.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice one.

That is interesting, I really wouldnt expect clouds like that to have that much energy and to be that turbulent inside. I flew the day before in very similiar conditions and didnt find any bumps inside the clouds, which by the evening were rather more extensive.

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message