Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lucky escapes

Very strange. The aircraft seems to hit the tree wheels first, with its movement towards its wheels, horizontally. It appears to have little forward speed.The people just walk away, and a car turns left at the junction, its occupants ignoring the wreck.The tree seems very solid.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

It was a stall/spin so there won’t be much forward speed, and the tree looks incredibly robust compared to a C150. It sounds like you’re doubting the veracity of the video (nothing wrong with that by the way!) but to confirm this is a real incident:

https://www.teletica.com/225328_reportan-caida-de-avioneta-en-las-cercanias-del-aeropuerto-tobias-bolanos
local copy

(although with typical dodgy reporting – I don’t know of any single seat Cessna 150s that carry two people! Although perhaps they wanted to say only one passenger seat after the pilot)

Translation:
“A single-seat plane crashed near the Pavas Tobias Bolaños airport. The registration was N6941G, and the authorities rescued the aircraft’s occupants.

The occupants appeared to be two Argentian men, who were leaving the country at the time en-route to Argentina.

The accident occurred when the aircraft was taking off, during climb out. The occupants managed to escape the aircraft. One of the men was cut above the eyebrow, and the other suffered a chest injury. The aircraft leaked fuel covering about two square meters, which was dealt with by fire crews, who also disconnected the electrical system to avoid a fire.

The pilots managed to put the aircraft down in a place such that no people on the ground were injured.

The accident occurred in a residential area near the Bilingüe College of La Sabana"

Andreas IOM

Thanks. Now I’m a believer.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Here’s a wake turbulence encounter

Andreas IOM
  • 30 secs behind a twin TP is nuts
  • flying below what they thought was the TP’s trajectory is also nuts because wake vortices descend (c. 300fpm)

The instructor should get a job at McD, and the student should get a refund

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have had one encounter of wake turbulence in slightly unusual circumstances.

Approaching threshold maybe at a few hundred feet the aircraft was violently pitched laterally and vertically but with much less of a vertical component. Full control deflection just managed to avoid loss of control and a go around was enacted.

Unbeknown to me, but not ATC, although they were not aware of the consequences, a Hercules was perfoming full power runups just to one side of the threshold with the prop. wash directly over the runway and without any barrier behind the aircraft.

It was a genuine very lucky escape. I was grateful the co was taking some photos of the approach at the time and by happen chance included the Hercules.

In a way it went to re-enforce that on a beautiful day (which it was), anticipating the most straight forward and relaxed of landings, you havent landed until the wheels are truly on the ground and the aircraft under taxi control speeds.

96 Posts
Sign in to add your message