Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lucky escapes

Agree re the radio, but why did he stop in the first place? Does anyone know?

There was a video with the original sound and the engine sounding like a lawnmower with ignition problems… I wouldn’t have flown that engine either…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

There was a video with the original sound and the engine sounding like a lawnmower with ignition problems… I wouldn’t have flown that engine either…

Thanks, tried it again, now sound works (was silent for some reason when I first looked at it) and yep, this engine doesn’t sound too happy.

I’ve been a passenger in an IO-320 powered aircraft in which the top quality aircraft radio and intercom (or maybe just the Bose headsets?) was completely overwhelmed by ambient noise as the throttle was opened for takeoff. What recent experience have others had with radio communication between extremely loud environments? Cost might also be a consideration. Some of the Formula 1 and Biplane class aircraft competing at Reno cost as much as a used Cessna 150. What would be the best radio equipment that could be implemented for that environment, assuming the competitors were interested?

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Sep 15:02

I think a lot of these people use the in-ear headsets. They also work well under a helmet.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

I’ve been a passenger in an IO-320 powered aircraft in which the top quality aircraft radio and intercom (or maybe just the Bose headsets?) was completely overwhelmed by ambient noise as the throttle was opened for takeoff

I think I have possibly the noisiest cabin it’s possible to have with an O-320, and neither the old intercom I had nor the inbuilt one in the new radio (with David Clark headsets) have ever been overwhelmed by the noise.

Andreas IOM

RobertL18C wrote:

what a lucky escape.

Or stupidity in the first place. Makes for entertainment though.

alioth wrote:

I think I have possibly the noisiest cabin it’s possible to have with an O-320, and neither the old intercom I had nor the inbuilt one in the new radio (with David Clark headsets) have ever been overwhelmed by the noise.

The plane was a Wittman Tailwind with large diameter exhaust headers emptying just under your feet and only a thin layer of sheet titanium in between. It makes about 180 HP and the plane goes 207 mph indicated, and climbs at 1500 fpm or more. The latter makes the noise somewhat acceptable, because you can reduce power pretty quickly after takeoff, and after my flight the owner/builder added some sound insulation which he says helps too. Featured on the cover of Kitplanes magazine a few years ago.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Sep 14:13

That took some skill to pull off, good job.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message