Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR flight planning in the US for a European pilot

JasonC wrote:

You got a clearance. It was inconvenient but that is all. Happens all the time in the US. The advantage of the US tools is that they let you know your expected new route in advance.

This comment on the thread Complete rerouting twice got my attention, as I will go to the US soon, but have only flown VFR over there so far. I’d like to know what to expect in advance, and try to avoid alienating the instructor that will do the checkout by asking “stupid” questions. Instead of hijacking that thread, I thought I would start a new one here to discuss the differences in flight planning an IFR flight in the US.

So how does it work in the US? I recently renewed my Foreflight subscription to play around with it, and it seems that I can choose between “ATC cleared routes” and “Airway routes”. I found an explanation of these here, but it leaves me scratching my head. They say: “Instead of always filing direct or guessing airways, let the ‘ATC Routes’ tool in ForeFlight help you out.”, and: “At the bottom of the Log, you’ll see a button titled “ATC Routes”; pressing this will bring up a list of recently cleared ATC routes between the entered airports, including the altitude of the flight”.

OK, but what if there is no recently cleared route, or none for the desired altitude? And is it always possible to just file direct and see what you get from clearance delivery, even on very long routes? And could I just call 1-800-WXBRIEF and let them work out a convenient routing for me?

I would love to hear some real-world experience on this. It’s probably easier than I imagine, but at the moment I lack the practical experience.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 04 Oct 19:20

I use fltplan.com. Unless there is an obvious normal route file DCT and the website will show you when it files what route ATC intends to give you. In the northeast usually better to file a known route (fltplan.com lists then for your sort of type and altitiude) so you can be familiar with it.

Call 1-800-WX-BRIEF for a weather briefing if you want it but if in doubt just file DCT.

The other thing is file near your planned time and you have a huge margin for being early or late and do not have to refile. The exact time escapes me.

Foreflight will do what fltplan.com does. I just am used to it and use that. It is also free.

Last Edited by JasonC at 04 Oct 19:31
EGTK Oxford

You need a US phone # for fltplan.com to enable you to file flight plans. I have a US SIM card here from a year ago, but it seems that it got disabled in the meantime.

I guess I will stick to Foreflight then and find out how that really works when I get there.

I just have a UK phone number and it has worked for me for years now.

EGTK Oxford

In terms of route planning, although I have not flown in the US for a while, I remember that there were few SID/STAR or they were seldom assigned to light GA. There was however the concept of preferred departure routes that get you out of the bigger airports. Those of course differ depending on runway in use. I do not remember whether they were documented in the AF/D or in the package of IAPs (I used the “government” plates). There is also something called TEC (tower en-route control) which I believe are documented the same place as the preferred departure routes.

I suppose the “ATC cleared routes” are routes that have been issued in the past. A little bit like the routes suggested to you by EuroFPL based on flight plans that have previously validated.

Apart from guessing the departure route, the rest of flight planning was simple and straight forward. I cannot recall there were any route restrictions as we know them in Europe that prevented you from filing a specific V airway between X And Y. And no IFPS that will give you a hard time accepting your FPL. I always filed victor airways. I cannot remember ever using DCT and that was not even a subject during my training. But the network of V airways is such that finding an efficient route is never a problem.

Also you did not need any startup clearance. I usually got my departure clearances from GND at the holding point. If there is a CLR/DEL frequency you need to get your clearance there prior to contacting ground for taxi. At non-towered airports I used to contact FSS either over an RCO (on the radio), or phone. In that case you will generally get a clearance void time along with the clearance, ie. the clearance will be time limited. Landing at a non-towered airport, you need to close your FPL either with APP prior to landing, or with FSS (radio or phone) after landing.

The transition altitude is 18.000 feet. Flight levels above, altitude below.

Multi-directional departures are called ODP (obstacle departures).

You are generally encouraged to provide PIREPs and you can do so in flight with FSS. You can also get updated weather and PIREPs in flight.

I am not sure they have Y and Z plans in the US. I cannot remember having heard of such thing. On the other hand you can fly IFR even without having filed a flight plan. You call up in flight and ask for a pop-up IFR clearance. You can even do so on the ground and you’ll get your clearance, with full route, within minutes.

The rules for alternate selection are quite similar to what we have in Europe. There are however airports you are not allowed to file as alternates. The minimums are often standard – airports with non-standard minima are labeled specifically on the government plates.

LFPT, LFPN

I did my flight plat filling using DUATS and nothing to complain about. But limited experience to be honest.

LKKU, LKTB

I haven’t flown in the USA since 2006 (the FAA IR) and it would be interesting to hear how things have changed.

For example I would be amazed if everybody still used 1-800-WX-BRIEF. I found it extremely hard to build a picture of the weather from the verbal briefing, especially as it was delivered at a great speed.

Their AFD (airport directory) was amazing. Europe has never had anything like it. A single book with everything you need to know. But then the USA has no customs/immigration issues and has very few PNR/PPR requirements.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I second fltplan.com. Really the best and cheapest (its free), however never thought you needed a phone number. Since I had one never thought twice. Might be the reason they want a phone number is for the flight plan. In that case you can give your hotels number, a friends, or Skype number.

One thing about flying in the US North East that unless you use fltplan with all the routes that ATC likes you will not get the route filed. Other places less congested that is not a problem.

KHTO, LHTL

Thank you for the hints. I now succeeded in signing up for flightplan filing with fltplan.com. Actually, on the signup page they impose a specific phone number format, but when you then go to the settings page afterwards you can also enter an international number.

Since I have to do an FAA IFR theory exam to convert my EASA IR, I am aware of all the “official” stuff, but that knowledge needs to be transferred to practical use.

I’ll be flying in the west/south-west.

In the mountainous areas you can plan on airways, same in the Northeast triangle between Boston, Washington DC, and Chicago. The rest of the country is direct, just avoid restricted airspace. For filing purposes, there are preferred routes for city pairs. If you have ForeFlight Pro (150 per year) file direct and you should get an expected route back from ATC. Tap load into map to make it your route. Don’t setup DUATS, use Lockheed Martin if you use ForeFlight. We don’t use DCT if you specify an ICAO flightplan, just specify the point to point waypoints or airports.

KUZA, United States
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message