Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS approaches -> Checkout?

@ NCYankee

thanks again. And is it correct to say that a direct from the FPL list to any WPs that are part of the RNAV approach will also and always activate the approach? I do think so, just to make sure …

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 18 Nov 16:26

The systems I have used (R9 and G1000 Perspective) show that behavior. A direct-to to any waypoint activates the leg and thus the approach.

Frequent travels around Europe

Flyer59 wrote:

thanks again. And is it correct to say that a direct from the FPL list to any WPs that are part of the RNAV approach will also and always activate the approach? I do think so, just to make sure …

Except the FAF, the approach will sequence as normal and annunciate the approach when the FAF is the active fix.

I don’t like to use the term activate as it seems to confuse many pilots. The activate approach function is equivalent to a direct-to the first fix in the approach portion of the flightplan, even if it is behind you. If you never activate the approach, the GNS will take you first to the airport and then to the first fix on the approach and continue to sequence from there.

KUZA, United States

If you make a FPL on the 430 and add an approach, do you then edit the list and delete the airport (destination). I sometimes do that to remove the line to the airport on the MFD …. that’s something i never really knew how to handle … what’s best?

Anders wrote:

I would like to know more about the definition of operator. Does anyone know where that can be found?

From the definitions in the EASA basic regulation:
(h) ‘operator’ shall mean any legal or natural person, operating or proposing to operate one or more aircraft or one or more aerodromes;

There, clear as crystal, isn’t it?…

Flyer59 wrote:

If you make a FPL on the 430 and add an approach, do you then edit the list and delete the airport (destination). I sometimes do that to remove the line to the airport on the MFD …. that’s something i never really knew how to handle … what’s best?

You can do that, or activate the approach when you want to go direct to the first fix on the approach, or just direct-to the fix where you are going to join the approach. Even just use the direct-to dialog, the flightplan is hidden in plain sight on the dialog as are the nearest 20 airports and a course direct to the current fix.

KUZA, United States

Ok, I see, that’s how i do it anyway. I prefer to open the FPL, scroll down the list and do a Direct!

Flyer59 wrote:

I do that, to get relevant ETAs, automatic sequencing etc.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Most pilots have no clue that there is the full waypoint list of the flightplan accessible on the Direct to dialog without using the Flightplan button. That is what I mean by hidden in plain sight. My wife uses that technique when there is some food she doesn’t want me to eat, she hides it right in front of me, very devious.

KUZA, United States

tomjnx wrote:

So if you rent an aircraft from a club, the club has control over when you get the plane, but not where you’re going to fly to. So within the time slot allocated to the renter, the renter decides what happens to the plane, subject to certain limitations, obviously. So according to your rule, the renter is the operator…

I wrote “simply put.” Because precise definition would be quite complex and I don’t want to mess with it. When I rent a car, I’m not the operator either. Would anyone thing otherwise? I doubt it. The decision where the plane flies goes with being the guy that is paying for it. But the operator can refuse to let you fly there. It get’s even more interesting when owner and operator are two different entities. Because operator has to respect owner’s rights. And they can further delegate. This can quite complicate any attempt at a definition. With “what’s going to happen with it” I was hinting at scheduling maintenance, upgrades, things like this, but as I already wrote, this is more complicated when an operator is not the owner (while an operator might decide than a WAAS upgrade is in order, owner might not approve; but there is no way the guy renting the plane could install a unit he preferred with approvals he wanted, not in anything remotely like a typical rental arrangement; at best they’ll listen to what their customers want).

Sign in to add your message