Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Recommendations for checkout process after major airframe restoration

As posted elsewhere, I am nearing completion of a restoration of my TB-10. This has involved disassembling the aircraft, restoration of the sheet metal, many new parts, new paint, every bit of the interior removed and refurbished or replaced, and a new audio panel.

I have been compiling a checklist of pre-flight items as well as trying to think through a flight testing regime. I am based in Rotterdam, and the refurbishment is taking place at Termikas in Lithuania, so I really want to make sure I am as thorough as possible to avoid issues either on the return journey or after getting home. There’s no realistic way I will be returning there to fix something unless it was really major.

For anyone who may have done this before, I’d be very interested in advice on potentially less obvious things to look for or any lessons learned. Thanks in advance!

EHRD, Netherlands

You can get an aeroplane 98% right on the ground. I never expect a first flight post deep maintenance to be snag free. The only way to perfect the aircraft, is multiple confidence flights and perfect the matters arising systematically. Anyone smart does their first post-maintenance flights overhead the airfield, day, VMC with no extra passengers. You’d be surprised how many people don’t get this.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

WilliamF wrote:

Anyone smart does their first post-maintenance flights overhead the airfield, day, VMC with no extra passengers.

Yes this was my plan for sure. Circles over the field within gliding range while putting the airplane through its paces.

EHRD, Netherlands

One thing is for sure you require to be super diligent. With such an extensive strip down anything can, and frequently does lurk behind panels and in areas that are difficult to inspect. So…

1. If possible two of you uplift the aircraft for check.
2. Rigging – check all rigging lines for correct orientation.
3. Check all panels for any loose tools or items. Both engine and airframe.
4. Extended ground run. In fact I would do a couple of ground runs prior to any flying. Fast taxi, power run ups, engine check oil etc after runs.
5. Familiarise yourself with all panel upgrades, avionics. I once had a real traume when I picked aircraft up after maintenance to find Comms 2 master had been switched off. I was IMC and it adds a level of distraction that you do not want. I learnt about flying from that one.
6. Read up on last weeks BE58 crash in Lexington USA. N58LF. That is a tragic tale and it relates directly to what we are talking about here. It is sobering.

7. Do not fly if you have one iota of doubt about something. Grab a coffee and sort on the ground.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 18 Feb 11:24
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

WilliamF wrote:

The only way to perfect the aircraft, is multiple confidence flights and perfect the matters arising systematically

And that’s the problem. Nothing may happen on the first flight, or second, or third. Then after 30 h some bolt becomes loose because it was not torqued. In the end you are 100% in the hands of the ones who did the work/checking in the first place. Let them fly it for the first couple of flights at least, unless they haven’t already.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

BeechBaby wrote:

Read up on last weeks BE58 crash in Lexington USA. N58LF. That is a tragic tale and it relates directly to what we are talking about here. It is sobering.

What’s to read up on and how does it relate? The accident happened two days ago and there’s no official information as far as I can see. There’s nothing beyond very basic facts on ASN.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

What I found is that mechanics will almost never fly in a plane they worked on. Usually they cite “insurance”

My A&P/IA will fly in mine anytime, which is how it should be. But then he’s also a pilot (ATP & CFII).

When I used to use a company, I also always insisted they leave the panels off so I can do a visual check. Sometimes I went to collect the plane and found everything screwed back on; they got really p1ssed off when I asked them to open it all up. I once had a plumber walk off the job, saying he will never work for a customer who insists on inspecting his work! Well, GA maintenance is often at the same level. But you must not cave in. Always check yourself, because it is your life that is on the line.

Like ATC actually, they will go home at 1700, and – especially in the Part M system, where the company approval means the work is perfect and no individual is responsible unless utterly negligent – they may never have to answer any questions even as you are a burning hole in the ground

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What I found is that mechanics will almost never fly in a plane they worked on. Usually they cite “insurance”

Have the opposite experience. Annual on a SEP, including 3 cylinders changed. Airworthiness review person and a pilot (both from the shop that did the work) did a 1 hour maintenance checkflight.

always learning
LO__, Austria

At WAM, we fly customers aircraft to diagnose faults and to move the aircraft between their home base and Popham for maintenance.

Anyone who isn’t happy to get into an aircraft that they’ve been working on, shouldn’t be working on aircraft….and I’ve met a few of those!

Learning & burning
Popham, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

My A&P/IA will fly in mine anytime, which is how it should be. But then he’s also a pilot (ATP & CFII).

That’s the thing, isn’t it? Few mechanics are pilots. The few that I know of do indeed make the first flight after major work themselves.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message