Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Recommendations for checkout process after major airframe restoration

dutch_flyer wrote:

At the moment I’m getting a bit concerned about the Ukraine situation and my ability to get the airplane out should things deteriorate…

Hm, but you are not going to Ukraine or Russia are you?

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

robirdus wrote:

Hm, but you are not going to Ukraine or Russia are you?

No, but the tiny strip of Lithuanian-Polish border (the “Suwalki Gap”) is flanked by Kaliningrad and Belarus. This is not an ideal place to be if conflict erupts. Alternative is to cross the sea to Sweden.

EHRD, Netherlands

dutch_flyer wrote:

No, but the tiny strip of Lithuanian-Polish border (the “Suwalki Gap”) is flanked by Kaliningrad and Belarus. This is not an ideal place to be if conflict erupts. Alternative is to cross the sea to Sweden.

That is true, in case of tensions there could be restrictions and limitations. You’d better postpone – and wait a month or two if you can…

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

robirdus wrote:

You’d better postpone – and wait a month or two if you can…

It will be ready in 4-6 weeks, so there’s already time to see what will happen. But if needed I can fly to Sweden first instead of through the narrow gap.

EHRD, Netherlands

Pilot_DAR wrote:

If there have been any wiring changes (particularly cabin ceiling and near antennas) and presuming that the plane is equipped with in panel GPS, perform the following test:

Tune each comm transmitter to the frequencies listed below, and transmit for a period of 35 seconds, or the longest uninterrupted transmission possible for that transmitter, while observing the signal status of each satellite being received on the GPS. If any or all of the satellite bars drop to zero during the transmission, you have a wiring problem. Note that most modern comms now have a “stuck mic” function, and will cut off the transmission after about 35 seconds, even though you have not released the mic button. You’re looking for a little “TX” icon on the radio to tell you that it is, or has stopped, transmitting. The 35 second blast is enough to do the test. Test each comm separately.

(Confirm no local ATC use of these frequencies before transmitting on them): 121.150, 121.175, 121.185, 121.190, 121.200, 130.285, 131.250, 131.275, 131.290 131.300

I do this test with every new installation, and have found two planes and one helicopter with a major wiring error which causes interference between the comm transmission, and GPS reception. A wire which passes close to both the Comm antenna and GPS antenna, even though not connected to either, can still carry a signal enough to interfere with GPS reception. Best to find this on the ground, before you accept the plane, rather than during an GPS approach.

This is really interesting – I have never heard of this test. Is this something that’s officially sanctioned in Canada? I could be wrong, but where I live we could run afoul of regulators if we transmit on frequencies for testing, even if unused in the local area. I guess this test needs to be done outside, and on the ground. I’m also not even sure where I need to look to see how many satellites I’m picking up, and their signal strength.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

It is the 11th and 13th sub-harmonic of the GPS L1 ~1575MHz carrier frequency – see e.g. here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

I’m also not even sure where I need to look to see how many satellites I’m picking up, and their signal strength.

Every GPS receiver I know has a status page. That’s where you look.

My experience is that you could kill the GPS, as shown on the status page, by just pushing the comm radio transmit button briefly. A notch filter fixed it.

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

This is really interesting – I have never heard of this test. Is this something that’s officially sanctioned in Canada?

That test is in the installation manual of every certified GPS box.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

That test is in the installation manual of every certified GPS box.

TIL – thanks for the info – will do a bit of digging.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message