Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Weather question

I am currently thinking about flying back from Nuremberg EDDN to Sabadell LELL on Friday morning. The GRAMET is:

What will I get myself into? Would you like to comment on my train of thought?

I know that I can climb up to FL200 at about 1000 ft/min (800 further up) holding something like 120-130 IAS. I assume I will be taken off the SID early and get gradual climb clearances. One challenge will likely be that as soon as I’m IMC in below 0C – leaving out the green area for the moment – I should leave that zone as quickly as possible and request higher to get to something like -15C or colder. But then I will travel at FL200 in IMC for a while. As I know from a past flight my air intake might clog up and the auxiliary door will open. As long there is no airframe icing / wings that should not be an issue in itself.

A different strategy would be to stay below 0C for as long as possible and then climb into the “blue hole” at LUTIX to stay between layers. After all over France it is supposed to clear up and turn CAVOK close the destination. FL95+ is the minimum altitude on the Swiss airway after LUTIX until MILPA.

There is snow depicted and it is supposed to be snowing through the clouds. Does that mean there is some low moisture cloud and from above we have frozen water falling through and thus the icing issue is reduced? If not the case before LUTIX, I can request lower to get below 0C.

What would be your strategy? Aircraft has TKS for prop and wings and is turbo. Service ceiling 25,000ft.

Frequent travels around Europe

After writing this a new GRAMET is available. The situation seems to be improving. I have attached the image and drawn the magenta line at FL250 to mark my upper limit.

I

Frequent travels around Europe

Friday am is a long time from now, in this fast moving wx situation. FWIW here is the UK MO MSLP:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t know …. i think i’d stay down there a bit longer :-)

Yes there are snow falling, you can see it in the strobes and landing light. It is no problem inflight, when you climb you get incing just in the area where the snow changes to rain and the temp is around 0 degreee. For friday it is much to early and when I look on the rooting I woulf prefer to fly out (to the west) the weather and avoid the montains (also to the west). Over the alps the weather often get a extra kick and I don´t wont´to be in there!

EDAZ
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message