Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CO detector / how much carbon monoxide is acceptable in the cockpit

My VW 2 litre diesel makes plenty of CO. The detector goes crazy after a few seconds

I never had the “VW fake fix” done. Justine had it done and her VW car (v. similar engine) lost most of the bottom end torque so became basically a petrol car but which can’t be revved and lost about 20mpg She had it rolled back ASAP.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What could cause 50ppm in a Chieftain on a hot sunny day?

Two flights running.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Airborne?

Administrator

Yes.

EGKB Biggin Hill

If it reads zero when in fresh air, definitely get the heater looked at before next flight.

Administrator

If the heater is switched off can it still emit CO?

It was 30°C outside – no real call for the heater.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Most SEPs have the exhaust based system

and if that “jacket” gets corroded and the exhaust silencer gets corroded, you get fumes coming out of the heater vents. You will get some fumes even if the heater vents are closed, because the metalwork in GA planes is crap.

But you have a Janitrol-style heater, no? I don’t know the construction, but it must have a heat exchanger on the same principle. If you are getting CO with it turned off, maybe you have a hole in the exhaust and there is a leak through the firewall. There are places where this can happen e.g. in the nose gear steering openings

Administrator
I now have an explanation from my own engineer.

We have a gear problem on that particular aircraft and the big barn doors are staying open once the gear is put down.

Apparently that can cause exhaust gas to come into the cockpit.

The first flight ended without three greens, which turned out to be a barn door hanging down. And the second flight was a gear down positioning flight back to the engineers. So this is a full, parsimonious, cogent explanation.

I am delighted to know that the CO monitor works!

EGKB Biggin Hill

Wow, what an interview from a pilot who is alive to tell the story just by sheer luck.
Lots to take away from his words.

I have this CO detector always ON in the aircraft.

LGMG Megara, Greece

petakas wrote:

I have this CO detector always ON in the aircraft.

What was the price? I tried to register to get pricing and the form wouldn’t accept my data, not sure why.

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message