Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Missed Approach Buttonology on LPV and LNAV/VNAV Approach

Yes I did, but only in HDG mode and VS+ALT. But once you are in 3500 or at the waypoint you need NAV mode to fly the rest automatically.

Flyer59 wrote:

Yes I did, but only in HDG mode and VS+ALT. But once you are in 3500 or at the waypoint you need NAV mode to fly the rest automatically.

So my question was, why not engage the A/P i NAV mode and with the GNS still suspended? Then you would get guidance along the extention of the final approach track, which would be the extended runway centreline (assuming that the final was exactly aligned with the runway).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have not tried that one. I am just used to disconnect the A/P at the DA and do the Go-Around manually. I do’t even know what the A/P will do if the GNS is in SUSP and I leave it on…. will it just proceed straight? Have to try that too …

Flyer59 wrote:

I have not tried that one. I am just used to disconnect the A/P at the DA and do the Go-Around manually. I do’t even know what the A/P will do if the GNS is in SUSP and I leave it on…. will it just proceed straight? Have to try that too …

I actually haven’t tried with a GNS430W, but a GNS430 will continue to provide guidance to the autopilot along the extension of the final approach track.

(Also, if there is an altitude restriction, it will suspend twice. Once for the missed approach and once more for the altitude restriction. Possibly a GNS430W can tell if you’re at the correct altitude anyway?)

That’s a good tip, have to try it soon!
The altitude… no idea, but i don’t think so.

But: I reach the DA before the Missed Approach Point and before I get the SUSP indication at EDMS … so i have to disconnect the A/P for the MA … becasue the A/P would continue down to the runway.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 30 Dec 08:58

Flyer59 wrote:

But: I reach the DA before the Missed Approach Point and before I get the SUSP indication at EDMS … so i have to disconnect the A/P for the MA … becasue the A/P would continue down to the runway.

You have to disconnect to rapidly start the climb, but once you have, you should be able to engage it again.

That’s what i meant: I have to re-engage NAV again ;-)

I think there’s a better way: Just press “ALT” at the Decision Altitude and the plane will proceed to the M at that altitude. When I get the SUSP indiciation I can dial in the first altitude, and press VS+ALT and still leave it in NAV …. and when I reach 3500/or the WP i just unsuspend the GNS …

Wanted to try that one today, but OVC003 …

Flyer59 wrote:

Just press “ALT” at the Decision Altitude and the plane will proceed to the M at that altitude.

What mode are you in on your final descent? VS+ALT (good idea, never choose a mode that will fly you into the ground)? Then you should not need to press ALT again.

I also suggest that you study the concept of continuous descent final approaches. That is how I have been taught to fly all non-precision approaches, and I like the reasoning behind it. I think it is safer. At least, I don’t think it is a good idea to fly up to the missed approach point at decision altitude, because if you only see the runway upon reaching the MAP, you won’t be in a position to land any more anyway, but you may be tempted to try to do so.

On an LPV approach in a Cirrus you can be either in NAV or GPSS mode. It’s up to the pilot: You can press “ALT” to arrest the descent at DA, then you can immediately dial in the first MA altitude and press VS+ALT, which will always result in a positive rate of climb. Default VS is 500 fpm, so i will turn the VS knob on the A/P to 800 … a number the SR22 can always do.

I know that this has been discussed, but I treat the LPV approach as a PRECISON approach, becasue that’s what it really is. LPVs do not not have stepdown altitudes, and LNAV/VNAV approach do not either.

It depends. If I arrive at the threshold/MAPt and the runway is 2000 meters long, i have no problem landing. At EDMS I would not try to land from DA at the M, because the rwy is too short to do that safely.

Sign in to add your message