Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK VOR removal, and how to navigate with just VORs (no DME used)

IR training doesn’t use VORs except for the few VOR approaches that may still be around. SAM being the last one I can think of, and NOTAM NA.

With GPS RNAV substitution now accepted, the old need for AMC terrestrial standby has gone. I guess the rational is you are under radar control in Class A.

Someone will know the relevant regulation. In fact that cornerstone of British Aviation Culture, the NDB HOLD technicality can be flown using GPS RNAV substitution.

CAA

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Does the UK not have a system like the FAA MON (Minimum Operational Network) in place ? This system means that a minimum number of VORs and ILS approaches will be retained throughout the country. More reading here

Last Edited by 172driver at 31 Jul 20:09

With GPS RNAV substitution now accepted

It is not as simple

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does anyone know how reliable continuing to fly with a magnetometer and AHRS without GPS in a G1000 in dead reckoning mode would be?

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

In VMC with compass, chart and watch, no problem. Even better if you have a phone or tablet running Skydemon or FF.
In IMC it’s really difficult, been there, tried it but at least the Loc and ILS at Brest was working and ATC very helpful.

Last Edited by gallois at 03 Aug 06:44
France

In VMC with compass, chart and watch, no problem

Only in one’s very local area.

For everything else, including IMC, GPS is used. Hence I wonder what the relevance of VORs is today. It’s a backup for a backup for a backup.

Administrator

I thought we were discussing what happens if there are GPS outages

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

GA_Pete wrote:

I really can’t imagine that they are so expensive to maintain. I do get putting in new ones would be silly.
I flew for many many years using them as a primary nav solution so would prefer them to remain.

Although maintenance of the existing VOR can be expensive, the main issue is the age of the systems that are installed and the fact that parts are no longer available in many instances. Many of the US VOR were installed in the 1960’s, making them approaching 80 years old. The FAA is planning on scavenging parts from discontinued systems to keep the remaining ones working. At any point in time in the US, there are probably 10% that are not available, some outages last for years.

KUZA, United States

Navaid costs. Some juicy service contracts there…

For GA, I can’t see VORs being of much use. There are too few; so few that straight lines between them will tend to cross CAS, which may or may not be an issue depending on the country. In the UK, virtually useless.

We no longer have a means of relocating VORs because the KNS80 type of product line died out with the KNS80 which happened because GPS caused the bottom to fall out of the market.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

For GA, I can’t see VORs being of much use. There are too few; so few that straight lines between them will tend to cross CAS, which may or may not be an issue depending on the country.

Well, together with a DME you can get a good position fix.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message