Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice for anyone converting ICAO licences/ratings to EASA equivalent

Hi Boscomantico,

You are correct that during any skills test or proficiency check the examiner cannot ‘instruct’ during the flight. However, in terms of insurance and legality of logging flight time, examiners can log the flight as an instructional flight – because you cannot examine a rating or licence unless you can instruct for the licence/rating.

Regarding examining for a type or class not endorsed on an examiners licence, under JAR FCL national aviation authority examiners had a dispensation which allowed them to do this. Under Part FCL this dispensation was withdrawn.

When you apply for your licence or rating the NAA, require copies of the examiner’s licence, rating, and examiner certificate. I know of one pilot who went to another EASA member state to complete their IR conversion in their own PA46 SET. The pilot passed the IR, but the CAA rejected the application because the IRE did not hold the PA46 SET class rating, or PA46 CRI certificate.

Jonathan
EGMD

and tailored each conversion based upon the pilot’s experience, rather than apply a standard course for everyone.

I think that goes without saying, doesn’t it?…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

you are correct that during any skills test or proficiency check the examiner cannot ‘instruct’ during the flight.

Curiously I was told in the USA that the FAA regards a checkride as a learning experience. That was also evident in the US checkrides I had.

In the UK ones, the examiner usually says nothing; just makes some notes.

On the topic, this recent thread may be of relevance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Curiously I was told in the USA that the FAA regards a checkride as a learning experience.

But not instruction! Jonathan is right – but a non-instructional flight can still be a learning experience, and there will usually be a debrief where the examiner may end up saying things that are advice.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

But not instruction! Jonathan is right – but a non-instructional flight can still be a learning experience, and there will usually be a debrief where the examiner may end up saying things that are advice.

It is well known among professional educators that examinations are important learning opportunities.

From this statement you can draw some conclusion about how I regard the people who put together the EASA written exams.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Jonathan wrote:

Class rating and PPL skill test can be combined, providing examiner is an FE and rated on the aircraft. Takes about 1 day.

Does that mean you could combine the EASA IR check ride with the PPL checkride?

EGKB Biggin Hill London

Hi everyone,

Examiners are not allowed to instruct during any test because if the proficiency level was not reached the candidate could file a Regulation 6 appeal stating that the examiner was distracting the candidate. That is not to say examiners don’t want to help, personally I am always fighting the urge to offer advice. Proficiency checks (i.e. once the rating is on the licence) offer the examiner more latitude, in that you are allowed to retrain to proficiency, and then test in the same flight. It is for this reason that most pilots find revalidation flights have more training benefit.

Cirrus_Man: Unfortunately not, because the profiles are different. You also need an EASA licence to attach the converted IR onto. You could in theory pass the PPL skill test in the morning and then the IRT in the afternoon, however, I wouldn’t recommend it – quite demanding. What I meant by stating that the PPL and class rating test can be combined, is that you can complete the PPL skill test on say a TBM, and you will not have to then pass a separate TBM class rating test. Or in your case, (assuming you fly a Cirrus) you would pass the EASA PPL combined with SEP class rating. Then pass the IRT. In order to convert an ICAO PPL you need to:

• Pass Class 2 medical (with audiogram if IR is required)
  • Pass EASA PPL(A) Air Law, Human Factors exams
  • Pass RT practical (I also advise to pass the RT written as well)
  • Pass PPL(A) skill test
  • Have 100 hours P1

Some other tips I have remembered:

• Providing you meet the EASA Part-FCL Night Rating requirements (minimum of 5 hours total night time, 3 hours dual, 50 nm navigation exercise & 5 take off and full stop landings P1) ask your instructor/ATO to complete the application paperwork for the EASA Night Rating at the same time. Otherwise your licence will be limited to day only. I have completed this for a number of FAA licence holders who have night privileges ‘built in’. The ATO should write a letter of recommendation to accompany the application, especially if you don’t have the dual instructional flight experience
  • For UK IR applicants it is worth reading CAA Standards Doc 1, click below:
    "":https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1303
  • I have put together a very rough Q & A guide to possible IR test questions for FAA to EASA conversions – if anyone would like a copy (free) please send me a message and I will email you a copy
  • Use of Autopilot – current policy is to allow the use of the autopilot in the cruise and it must be disengaged not later than the IAF. For revalidation/renewals it can be used for all manoeuvres with the exception of the precision approach. Different member states will have differing opinions on this, including examiners!

Hope this helps.

Jonathan
EGMD

yes very helpful and thanks

EGKB Biggin Hill London
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message