Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zurich introduces mandatory VFR training, soon mandatory flight plan to follow

Vladimir wrote:

From what I’ve seen and read, the attitude towards GA in the US is generally much different (more positive). I hope to have the chance to fly there one day.

A word of warning… you might like it sufficiently to consider another emigration

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

The difference in attitude is that the US has rule that make sure that airports of any size need to be seen and treated as public transportation infrastructure.

Exactly. And that is in one sentence the one difference which allows all this garbage to happen in Europe.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

The difference in attitude is that the US has rule that make sure that airports of any size need to be seen and treated as public transportation infrastructure.

Isn’t there a rule in Europe saying that every airport has to accept GA? And then they come up with schemes like landing tax equal to an engine overhaul so that you don’t even consider landing there?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

Isn’t there a rule in Europe saying that every airport has to accept GA?

Not that I am aware of. Heathrow doesn’t. As we have just discussed nor does Munich.

EGTK Oxford

The only place in the world (that I know of) where such a rule exists is in the USA where the majority of airports get FAA funding, and as a condition of that funding they are required to remain open for traffic.

Such airports are “public” airports and this has made many people in Europe think that similarly “public” airports here are also obliged to accept traffic, but that’s not the case since they can make their own rules.

The big ones (e.g. Zurich) are mostly OK – even if you might get charged a lot of money by some handling agent. For example we could have a 100-aircraft fly-in to Prague LKPR and they would just love us – at €200 each. It’s the smaller ones which tend to cause the most problems. A very few of the big ones don’t want light GA but it’s really very few (in the UK only Heathrow and London City).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

As we have just discussed nor does Munich.

Really? I thought Munich accepts GA, it just costs 500+ EUR per landing.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

Really? I thought Munich accepts GA, it just costs 500+ EUR per landing.

It costs half that for a Mustang. Read the thread. Below 2t, you can’t get a slot.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Read the thread

Do you have a link?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

Do you have a link?

Yes, I can do a search on the site for you…….

https://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/1384-flying-into-eddm-any-tips#post_99373

EGTK Oxford

… and #64 of that thread shows a picture of a – 2t plane at EDDM …
Or what have I missed?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

Or what have I missed?

The rest of the thread?

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message