Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Notes on IFR trip to Zurich

A couple of photos on a quick flight to Zurich and back. Weather good on way in but poor heading back out.

The routers were pretty good.

http://www.ing-golze.de/users/tracks/7363402966250328869.html

Turning final for ILS rwy 14

Final ILS runway 14

Doing walkaround on GA apron

Refuelling

Nice sunset heading back West

Typical direct at FL400. Note TAS 329 knots. This is at ISA-2 and about 700lbs below MTOW.

Ice picked up during climb out still there at FL400. Moderate icing predicted through FL100. They were right. Boots used on climbout which is very rare.

TAS now 342kts

TAS now 348kts. A few degrees colder and lost about 200lbs of fuel vs the first cruise shot of the G1000. Shows how subject the speed is to weight and temperature.

Last Edited by JasonC at 16 Mar 23:09
EGTK Oxford

Thanks for sharing Jason – great pics

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Amazing machine – and the forward view’s surprisingly good on thos pictures.

EGTF, LFTF

Which handling company did you use? When parking on GAC1 last time we could simply walk to the plane but nevertheless there is mandatory handling. We used MFGZ and they were nice but still quite useless.

After landing on 14 did they also hand you over to ground, then back to tower for the runway crossing and then again back to ground?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

After landing on 14 did they also hand you over to ground, then back to tower for the runway crossing and then again back to ground?

That is standard procedure in LSZH. After landing on RWY 14, you have to contact Apron north, then tower (sometimes on a different frequency than the one you were on for the landing), and then Apron south. Including the relatively bad viewpoint from a “small” plane on these vast stretches of concrete, I find it creates quite some workload and stress to taxi in Zurich. The new, mandatory VFR briefing also is a good preparation for IFR pilots planning to go to Zurich.

I used Jet Aviation. They were good (as far as handlers go). Yes, I rolled out right to the end of 14 – there was no-one behind as they had descended a BA Airbus about 100miles out and brought him through under me. Kept asking me to slow down and for him to speed up which I found amusing. From there to ground/apron, then back to tower to cross 28 (which was active for departures), back to apron I think.

Even departing in the wet at night, finding P2 to hold was very challenging with a line of Airbus pointing down taxiway A at you. It is important to stick to the yellow lines on the big aprons or you can get lost even more easily. Garmin Safetaxi is a wonderful aid in these situations.

Last Edited by JasonC at 17 Mar 11:33
EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Ice picked up during climb out still there at FL400. Moderate icing predicted through FL100. They were right

Glad to hear it . Good to know that one’s daily work was not entirely in vain.

I paid your plane a short visit on the way back from the met station, had to leave unfortunately. Hope it works out next time.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message