Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

European regs on flying an IAP solo in VMC?

Noe wrote:

The point is that in G airspace (outside the zone) you only need to be clear of clouds, while in a D zone you’ll need to keep minimum distances (vertical / horizontal) from cloud

Yes, if we are only talking about relaxing 1.5km/1000ft separation from isolated clouds that would make sense

On visibility, it used to be you need for any SVFR in the UK you need 10km visibility for vanilla PPL unless you have an IR/IMC (this no longer under SERA, but the legacy rules will take some time to clear ), given the size of Gatwick zone crossing is max 10km you should be able to go VFR in the first place

More than 10km tough, 12.5km to be precise

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Feb 15:17
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

isolated clouds

Not only isolated clouds. If there is a an overcast at 1500’, you could be flying along happily at 1000’ in class G, but would need SVFR for a control zone crossing.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Not only isolated clouds. If there is a an overcast at 1500’, you could be flying along happily at 1000’ in class G, but would need SVFR for a control zone crossing.

Yes that is possible as well, I did not visualize it along the height dimension

Airborne_Again wrote:

Taking my comments back , yes I discovered today that can be more common than what I had in mind even in the UK
Here is a scenario: using class D airport A instrument approach to break-off clouds (say at 600ft) and then decide to go VFR to a nearby airport B which is OCAS you will surely be on a SVFR

Ibra wrote:

Practically, given the small size of the zones you will be be very luck to find a day when you are VFR (in VMC) outside the zone while the weather is IMC (or less than VMC) inside the zone

It happens. E.g. heavy localised rain, just on the final approach path (but not on the runway), killing visibility. Entered the CTR with low visibility on the ATIS, on a SVFR clearance, while I was in sight of the airport from the CTR’s edge, 7nmi away. With a 4 km runway, it was possible to do the whole (short) final approach out of rain, over the runway, still landing with enough runway to come to a full stop and takeoff again, several times.

ELLX
85 Posts
Sign in to add your message