Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Temporary Schengen "suspension" around Europe

jvdo wrote:

I’m flying from Belgium direct to Lyon Bron next week, anybody knows if they are into this customs joke?

Just looked at their AIP entry, they have PAF(phone) split from DDI(email), which one you want to PN?

PS: it’s a friendly airport, if this helps

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Aug 15:50
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Just looked at their AIP entry, they have PAF(phone) split from DDI(email), which one you want to PN?

PS: it’s a friendly airport, if this helps

I visited a few times before, always a nice experience, but this was before Covid.

The AIP says, within Schengen you should check the french customs website, https://www.douane.gouv.fr/, only available in French :)
Outside of Schengen you need PN. So again in this situation, you need to know yourself that french is ‘temporary’ not Schengen.

EBMO, EBKT

french is ‘temporary’ not Schengen

Nonsense.

They are temporarily reintroducing border controls at their internal borders.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Correct, you need to know they did this…
So I guess you need to check this all the time,… https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/schengen/reintroduction-border-control_en

EBMO, EBKT

boscomantico wrote:

Nonsense.

That’s commonly known as “suspending Schengen” even if of course it is done in accordance with the treaty.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

That’s commonly known as “suspending Schengen” even if of course it is done in accordance with the treaty.

It is not, it is temporary reintroducing border controls. You need to stop saying Schengen is suspended, it cannot be suspended by a single country!

Schengen guarantees the following :

- Anyone, whatever their nationality, may cross an internal border within the Schengen area without being checked.
- National authorities can carry out police spot-checks either at the border or in border areas when these are based on general information and experience and are not systematic passport controls.
- Individuals require certain travel documents, depending on whether they are EU nationals, non-EU family members or non-EU citizens.
- A Schengen country may exceptionally reintroduce border controls, initially for up to 30 days, if there is a serious threat to public policy or internal security. It must inform other Schengen members, the European Parliament, European Commission and the public.

Which is exactly that. The onus of enforcing those border controls is on them, not on you. You are under no obligation to go about your life any different, anybody who claims so, is wrong.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

jvdo wrote:

Correct, you need to know they did this…
So I guess you need to check this all the time,… https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/schengen/reintroduction-border-control_en

I would really like to know who the fees (the 1500 euros mentioned) were paid to. It is up to the authorities (in this case the French state, not just customs) to inform the citizens correctly of the borde control requirements, as there is no NOTAM etc they have certainly failed to do so.
Also every individual (regardless of their nationality) is allowed to travel freely within the schengen area without being checked. This “fine” if it is a customs fine would never hold up in a European court.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

A Schengen country may exceptionally reintroduce border controls, initially for up to 30 days, if there is a serious threat to public policy or internal security. It must inform other Schengen members, the European Parliament, European Commission and the public.

Exactly. That’s what is commonly known as “suspending Schengen” even though it is of course not a suspension of the treaty itself but a suspension of free movement.

IMHO, that provision is seriously misused and most frequently employed as a way of making political statements for domestic use, rather than countering an objective threat.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My data point: I travelled Spain to France with the family last week. We complied with all test and EU COVID certs regulations, NOTAMS in force, and we flew from and to non-Entry airports.
We submitted FPL 24h in advance, so there was reasonable prior notice. The one time we had been checked by French customs at a non-entry airport, they had used the FPL as a notification and flew to such remote location with their C206 to check us out, a decade ago. I therefore assumed it is a valid cross-border notification when in compliance, so they were able to enforce any required control measures.

They did not. Nobody checked on us, other than at every restaurant, chateau and museum where the COVID test or EU-COVID passport was mandatory for all adults.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Airborne_Again wrote:

Exactly. That’s what is commonly known as “suspending Schengen” even though it is of course not a suspension of the treaty itself but a suspension of free movement.

Schengen suspension would more precisely mean suspending the external boarder around Schengen states. Schengen is after all a common external border. Free movement inside is more a consequence of the former. As an example, suspending the boarder control to Russia would be a real suspension of Schengen. Having boarder control to Sweden (as in corona checks), has nothing to do with Schengen at all, since it has nothing to do with any immigration issues whatsoever.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message