Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Precautionary landing after high CHT and oil temperature

@AdamFrisch DA40/42 would offer no real advantage and none has CAPS. i would type more but I’m on a phone

Frequent travels around Europe

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

none has CAPS

Well, if you’re sold to that marketing argument, then I guess you have no choice!

LFPT, LFPN

CAPS/BRS is an incredible innovation and it’s value should only be compared to it’s price. It has a value, not everyone can/will pay for it, but most who ‘can’ afford it value it’s option. It’s a relative thing but it is now proven so shouldn’t be discounted. Not many ‘get out of jail options’ have a negative value if the engine pops!

BUT… the Cirrus engines are of such poor quality and reliability, they are without doubt, the weakest part of the package. If you look at Aviation-Safety, all non landing control accidents relate to engine issues and 7/10 latest accidents relate to the engine (past 6 months or so). However, we have limited choice (except DA42 which put a stick up the middle of the seat for some reason), we pretend to ourselves that these engines would make Mercedes proud. If one digs deeper, you’ll notice that most engine failures occur on engines that have had surgical maintenance. The first conclusion is that they must be leaving the factory as a good product. This is not the case as the pilot tries to feed the engine as best they can but can’t feed with the accuracy of water-cooling & FADEC which CAUSES the requirement for surgery, which CAUSES the ultimate failure.

We need FADEC to improve reliability.

DMEarc wrote:

We need FADEC to improve reliability.

In the last week I’ve been exposed to one engine that self destructed due to FADEC failure (a 2011 BMW motorcycle/engine that is now on its way back to Munich on an ADAC truck) and a 2016 BMW motorcycle engine that is making such a top end tapping noise that the rider hopes it will get him home to be fixed under warranty. The FADEC failure could not be fixed in reasonable time by the dealer, particularly as it resulted in overfueling that destroyed the catalytic converter and made the exhaust glow red hot before the rider could get it looked at.

Meanwhile my 98,000 mile (158,000 km) carbureted & air cooled motorcycle is on the ferry (one deck beneath me as I write) and will carry me another 600 km tomorrow, likely in rain. It’s never been apart so it did burn a litre of oil on the trip. Would you like me to write when I reach my destination without issue?

My two carbureted aircraft are equally great for my use.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Jun 18:36

Do you have an engine scanner with download capability? If so, can you probably post the graphs here so that we can take a look at the pattern that lead to this failure?

I believe Stephan has a G1000 in which case, if he has a top card in the MFD, he should have all engine parameters registered. The parameters also include GPS positions, so not great for privacy.

LFPT, LFPN

Stephan has the R9 version (but all three glasscockpit versions, Entegra, R9 and Perspective/G1000 record all engine and flight parameters).

I thought about a Savvyanalysis plot …

The parameters also include GPS positions

This place abounds with IT professionals who could filter those out in the wink of an eye, not a real concern. Same goes for the time stamps, or at least the “date” part of them.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I’ll download the data when I get back to the aircraft and have a bit of time. However, there won’t be a lot of interesting stuff that I haven’t recorded in my human memory already :-) Still will be interesting to see.

Frequent travels around Europe
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message