Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

Use is FREE for SD users and piston aircraft up to four seats and once the users and plane are set up on the Skydemon site the GAR comes right out of SD comparable to their flight plan option with all details like flight times already filled in. Huge fan! Eventually Carl may change that free use (?) but for the time being I have no complaints..

I need to look at it again, when I had a poke around and looked at the GAR form the other day, SD seemed to be requiring me to buy credits, and I went for the 1 credit at £ option for the moment. I am SEP with 4 seats.

The way I figured it out is: you log on to the members section of SD web site. The you click on the link to onlineGAR and set up your details like crew and plane. At the web site I was unable to file a GAR.. hmmm.. But I do have a route to the UK and sure enough in the “warnings section” you find a “this route requires a GAR”, which you then click to file.. Very intuitive..

EDLN and EDKB

Carl, is it still the case that online gar will not handle all of the "special"paperwork requirements for CTA ( I’m thinking specifically IOM) ?

OnlineGAR will generate the IOM form but you still have to email it to them yourself.

I’m going to talk to my local MHK* (who is the minister for Home Affairs and lives on my street) about taking a leadership role in removing the need to notify Special Branch at all (one of the things in the CAA Red Tape challenge reports – a recommendation to do away with Terrorism Act Special Branch notifications altogether). Probably nothing will happen but if I don’t raise the issue with him then definitely nothing will happen so I have to try!

• member of the House of Keys, our parliament
Last Edited by alioth at 02 Jun 10:40
Andreas IOM

Failing that perhaps you could ask them to consider accepting an onlinegar submission.

Right now we are being told that they won’t accept it.

Channel Islands are worse, demanding a paper signature.

EGKL, United Kingdom

Channel Islands are worse, demanding a paper signature.

If they accept a fax, then surely they can see how stupid this requirement is! (although I wouldn’t point this out to them because then they’ll probably decide they will only accept original forms sent in the post with the 24 hour delay this implies)

Andreas IOM

GAR requirements for NI/Isle of Man relaxed a little?

Just seen this, the June 2014 update to the GAR requirements:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/318541/GAR_Instructions_-June_2014.pdf

Under Annex B, under Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man, the requirements are stated as:

Submit a GAR to the Police (if you are using an airport not designated by the Police)
If the arrival airport does not have a police designation (see Annex C for a list of police designated airports) you are requested to submit a
GAR, at least 12 hours prior to arrival to:
- The Police via an approved website or NCU1; or
- Directly to the Police force responsible for the area in which your arrival airport is situated (see Annex D)1
If the airport has a police designation (see Annex C for a list of police designated airports) you do not have to submit a GAR.

So for instance flying to EGBJ from the Isle of Man, it’s no longer necessary to file a GAR at all. I wonder if it’s possible to get the IOM plod to drop the requirement to file a GAR with them if going to Ronaldsway.

The other interesting thing “you are requested to submit a GAR at least 12 hours” rather than required. I’m not brave enough to test that wording out though :-)

Last Edited by alioth at 23 Jun 20:54
Andreas IOM

No change there from the previous version.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I’m really confused about all this GAR stuff for trips within the UK. Are there passport checks for other modes of travel (e.g. ferry) between Northern Ireland and Great Britain? Between the Isle of Man and Great Britain? Channel Islands?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Having just been to Alderney and needed my passport to do so it set me wondering where in LAW this is enacted. What if one does not have a passport, is travel within parts of the UK now forbidden?

UK, United Kingdom

I’m really confused about all this GAR stuff for trips within the UK. Are there passport checks for other modes of travel (e.g. ferry) between Northern Ireland and Great Britain? Between the Isle of Man and Great Britain? Channel Islands?

No. General aviation is singled out. Yacht or motorboat owners don’t need to do any of this stuff either, they can come and go as they please. You don’t even need to show any sort of ID if you go on the ferry from the IOM to the UK. But somehow someone in a nearly 70 year old aircraft with virtually no payload is seen as a huge terror threat.

Talking of the ferry, there’s something really bizarre – the IOM Steam Packet Co. make all the foot passengers go through an airport style metal detector and X ray their bags. The car drivers? Just drive on with as many guns, bombs, knives as they want! Customs do the odd random check but in the last 10 years I’ve been checked once and it was the most cursory inspection I’ve ever seen (a good job too because my car was loaded with a lot of computing gear that I had to carefully pack to make it all fit).

Last Edited by alioth at 24 Jun 07:40
Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message