Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

I always assumed that the IOM and Channel Islands restrictions were in place to prevent money laundering, rather than terrorism per se. The IOM and Channel Islands being attractive and convenient destinations for investment.

You can take plenty of cash in a GA aircraft, while a similar quantity could be obviously back breaking if hand-carried on the airlines and would probably be spotted at the x-ray machine and I imagine that questions would be asked.

Admittedly, the apparent lack of car checks makes little sense, though they do have the driver, passenger and registered keepers details in advance of travel, or they can simply look them up on-the-spot. The fact that the small boat operators can come and go as they please makes even less sense considering how many drug/gun/tobacco/diamond/kitchen-sink smugglers have been caught over the years.

The GAR effectively prevents short-notice trips to the IOM, Channel Islands, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland – all within the Common Travel Area.

I have cancelled trips to the Channel Islands several times because the weather was unsuitable on the day, and the 12 hour PNR has meant that I have been unable to go on days where the weather was unexpectedly better than forecast. It seems that it is an activity akin to alignment of the stars. I wonder if a letter to their respective tourist boards would be worthwhile?

EGTT, The London FIR

I need to file a GAR with 12 hours notice, to travel between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland in a light aircraft.

If I travel with my car, there is no GAR, no notice and no border checks. The only indication that you’ve actually crossed a border is that the road signs are now in mph instead of kph.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I have cancelled trips to the Channel Islands several times because the weather was unsuitable on the day, and the 12 hour PNR has meant that I have been unable to go on days where the weather was unexpectedly better than forecast. It seems that it is an activity akin to alignment of the stars. I wonder if a letter to their respective tourist boards would be worthwhile?

It’s worth writing. The recent Red Tape challenge as one of its recommendations says get rid of the GAR for the CTA altogether. One of the IOM ministers lives on my street, I’ve written a letter but I need to edit it (I’ve waffled too much) – I doubt anything will be done but if I don’t ask then definitely nothing will be done. Also I will point out that the UK doesn’t require one for designated airfields, so why don’t we drop the requirement right now for Ronaldsway.

It’s a bit easier with OnlineGAR now (no need to send faxes or hunt down phone numbers) with an easy cancellation process, so I’m going to speculatively file a GAR if I think there’s even the slightest chance of getting away direct from Andreas airfield (if I go via Ronaldsway no notice is required) and just cancel it if some reason I don’t go (weather, don’t feel like it, got something else I have to do etc).

Admittedly, the apparent lack of car checks makes little sense, though they do have the driver, passenger and registered keepers details in advance of travel, or they can simply look them up on-the-spot

Well they don’t actually check. I could give my ticket to someone else and they could go in my place. The one time customs did look in my car even they didn’t check my ID.
You can look up plane details on the spot too, at least for G-reg you have G-INFO that tells you all and can even give you a photo if someone’s taken one.

Andreas IOM

If the airport has a police designation (see Annex C for a list of police designated airports) you do not have to submit a GAR.

Indeed and no change from the previous version.

Police designated airports have a police presence.
CustomsImmigration designated airports have a HMRC (concerned with the movement of goods) and UKBF (concerned with the movement of people) presence.

You just present yourself at the check point.

Last Edited by at 24 Jun 12:05

CustomsImmigration designated airports have a HMRC (concerned with the movement of goods) and UKBF (concerned with the movement of people) presence.

You just present yourself at the check point.

That’s exactly not the way I understood the latest Border Force guidance. An advance GAR is now required for all flights, even from or to customs/immigration designated airfields.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Jun 13:40
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Indeed, a few months ago there was a commissioner’s directive stating that GARs were required in all cases regardless of airfield status. That is why the current advice seems to be , ( not unusually) at odds with reality.

Egnm, United Kingdom

BTW, has anyone had a look at the new form itself?
It is very clear that they don’t want people to print it, fill it in by hand and put it on the fax machine.
In fact, in the instructions, they say that fax should only be used “in extreme cases”. That wording sure is new.
On the other hand, it was only about time to move ahead.

Thing is: if people complete it on the PC and send it by e-mail, Border Force and Police will still have to work on it “manually” (unless they programmed a macro that scans the excel file and exports it straight into their owen comunication / distribution software.
The only difference is they won’t have to deal with unreadable handwriting and invalid entries (the excel file uses dropdown menus a lot)….

That’s exactly not the way I understood the latest Border Force guidance. An advance GAR is now required for all flights, even from or to customs/immigration designated airfields.

I think the original poster was talking about where police notification is required, i.e. flights between countries of the CTA.

This is separate to recently changed requirements by UKBF and HMRC where an advance GAR is required even at customs/immigration designated airports. It is an issue AOPA continues to work on.

Advance GAR continues to not be a requirement at a police designated airport, as quoted in bold in the first post of this thread.

Last Edited by James_Chan at 25 Jun 00:15

Before i flew to Biggin Hill I called customs/bordersecurity. They where very clear that you now allways nedd to file a gar .. Even if you fly to a designated field. I flew in from Rotterdam.

James,

sure. I as just responding to fuzzy’s post.

Sign in to add your message