Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot vs Jeppesen FD

I print enroute and terminal charts at home, for all planned bits, and rely on a tablet for unplanned bits. I also have stuff on a phone which, with reading glasses, is just about OK, and that is important because tablets can shut down in a hot cockpit, sunlight, etc. Loads of threads on this here, with two distinct camps Do a search on the word “paperless” for example. I could not go totally paperless because of the need to take notes fast and in normal writing, and no tablet currently works properly for that (I have seen some pilots finger-scribble on an Ipad etc).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OT. Do you guys have any backup when using electronic approach charts?

I have 2 iPads running GP (since this spring, earlier I used SD). I would not rely on only one device – IME iPads do shut down due to heat very often, even in aircraft with solid roofs and below 10k feet.

On really hot days, I switch off the iPad in cruise and put it on the floor to avoid a shutdown.

Last Edited by blueline at 05 Aug 15:10
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

mmgreve wrote:

Hmmm

I have the following

Have you done an update. I am on Jepp Mobile FD Cycle 16-2016.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Have you done an update. I am on Jepp Mobile FD Cycle 16-2016.

I’m running a GP trial that is good for a month. I thought that Jepp would be part of the trial, as I have been able to download the regional plates, but it does seem that there are some missing.

EGTR

blueline wrote:

IME iPads do shut down due to heat very often

I have never had that happen with any of my devices….ever !?!

I always fly with two ipads, though still print out the essential plates, i.e. approaches for destination and alternative, together with the plog. Between 2 ipads, a GNS530 with the flightplan loaded and the paper charts in the flight bag, I feel reasonably safe.

EGTR

I have never had that happen with any of my devices….ever !?!

FWIW, just last Monday the iPad2 in the Ram Mount packed up when flying from LRSB to LHSM in approx. 6k feet and even with some clouds above – so no “extreme” conditions.

As Peter said – 2 camps

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

mmgreve wrote:

I’m running a GP trial that is good for a month. I thought that Jepp would be part of the trial, as I have been able to download the regional plates, but it does seem that there are some missing.

Did you log in with your JeppFD password etc? And you have a free JeppFD serial number.

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 Aug 16:03
EGTK Oxford
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message