Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK Class D VFR exemption

But ATC is not.

I bet they really are…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Cobalt wrote:

Unfortunately, there are no separate rules for SVFR separation. From an ATC point of view, an SVFR flight has to be separated the same way as IFR flights get separated from each other, a SVFR clearance is technically an IFR clearance in that respect.

That may be the way that the UK treats it, but it is not a requirement. ICAO puts the radar separation minima into PANS-ATM (not Annex 11) and EASA proposes putting it in AMC/GM, not an implementing rule. This gives states the freedom to fix their separation minima in a way that best fits their local needs and safety analysis. The US, for example, uses target separation (“green between”) for VFR separation in many circumstances, including class B.

Peter wrote:

I bet they really are…

But if they are Peter, why don’t we just call it “Special VFR” and carry on?

bookworm wrote:

Because it works just fine the way it is now…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

This may sound dumb, but I have never asked for SVFR (to my knowledge) in the 16 years I have been flying and I have very little idea what SVFR does. It used to be needed for flying VFR to Jersey and crossing the Heathrow zone but I don’t think I ever did that.

When I fly, I go VFR (for low level hacking around) and IFR (for all the rest). Those two I know pretty well. I can get Class D transits as VFR or IFR and ATC treat both the same: radar control service and maintain assigned heading and altitude, which creates the obvious presumption of being separated.

And I am sure the radar controller is not stupid and will actually separate everybody from everybody in his bit of airspace, because he knows most people will not spot other traffic even if you paid them for it. So the various rules whereby VFR on IFR is not separated etc etc are no more than textbook theory which nobody with a radar screen will actually operate inside their own CAS.

Just my opinion, FWIW

Disclaimer: I’ve had an IR for 10 years, so life is simpler for me.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

And I am sure the radar controller is not stupid and will actually separate everybody from everybody in his bit of airspace, because he knows most people will not spot other traffic even if you paid them for it. So the various rules whereby VFR on IFR is not separated etc etc are no more than textbook theory which nobody with a radar screen will actually operate inside their own CAS.

I’m sure the radar controller will “sort of” separate, which is not the same thing as “separate”.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I often get, under radar control service, instructions that are not set headings or altitude, such as "resume own navigation to x, not about y ft, VFR "

47 Posts
Sign in to add your message