Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Correlation between weekend flyers and Mode A transponder use

I’ve rented aircraft with Mode C capable transponder, but no encoder. It was labeled as such. I don’t know what it would transmit if turned to “Alt”. I never did so. Mode A only.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Yes; that seems to be the common situation. Loads of Mode C but no encoder. I guess the transponder treats the encoder value as invalid if it is not connected, and returns no altitude even if ALT is selected.

Presumably in Germany such a bodge would not get the annual IFR signoff?

How much is an encoder?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Trig has inbuilt encoder, and just needs a tube to the static – we put a T piece into the altimeter tube.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

What I don’t undestand is the rationale for avoiding the cost of the encoder alone, given that it removes the altitude return, and thus increases the chances of the customer getting killed. It’s a curious “culture”.

Administrator

boscomantico wrote:

Hein? Then how can it squawk Mode C?

Because Mode C is the interrogation mode, not the output data. A transponder without an altitude encoder (or a transponder switched to ON not ALT) will respond to a Mode C all-call interrogation used by TCAS, but will return an unknown altitude.

As was discussed earlier in the thread, classic transponders are all “Mode A/C” transponders, regardless of whether they have an altitude encoder attached.

I am well aware of that. What I was getting that is that an aircraft is not “Mode C” if it doesn’t have an encoder. A Mode C capable transponder is not enough.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I presume it is that can that with no encoder connected, it in effect is transmitting 0000 which doesn’t resolve to any altitude.

Last Edited by stevelup at 14 Oct 08:37

Any avionics shop person who has a Mode C transponder tester can answer this one. Maybe there are pullups which drive the value to FL600 or some such?

TAS equipment definitely does not filter out a zero pressure altitude; I see planes sitting at the EGKA (elevation 12ft) holding point when I am on final and get proximity warnings off them, and if QNH is 1013 they will be radiating a zero pressure altitude. And regardless of QNH they will be radiating something close to mine when I am nearly on the ground.

But on top of that I reckon ATC radars might be filtering out obviously wrong stuff.

Administrator

I didn’t say zero pressure altitude, I said 0000 as in binary 000000000000

0 pressure altitude is:-

Gillham:- 000011010000
Octal:- 0620

See here:-

http://www.airsport-corp.com/modecascii.txt

Last Edited by stevelup at 14 Oct 11:14

boscomantico wrote:

What I was getting that is that an aircraft is not “Mode C” if it doesn’t have an encoder. A Mode C capable transponder is not enough.

So lemme get this straight:

A “Mode C aircraft” is one that replies to a Mode C interrogation with altitude information.
A “Mode A aircraft” is one that replies to a Mode C interrogation without altitude information.

If you find that terminology helpful, feel free. Just don’t expect me to use it.

Sign in to add your message