Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random flying photos thread

Please state the location

Pic of the day… taken over the Passo del Maloja, after take-off from runway 03 at Samedan.
The lakes are (in the 4th Swiss official language Romansh) the Lej da Segl (closest), Lej da Silvaplauna, and Lej da San Murezzan. The airport and its runway being visible further down the Engiadina valley.
Always worth a visit, if only for its famous Bündner Nusstorte (Graubünden nut pastry)

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Pic of the day… taken over the Passo del Maloja, after take-off from runway 03 at Samedan.

@Dan
Ahhhh Samedan.. That place. Used to be VFR only – I believe there are GPS approaches now-a-days. I remember landing there with a CJ3 back around 2010ish and slipping on my ass – on an icy apron, and then having to use my own credit card to pay for the services! Mofos! ;-) BUT I also remember that the Spanish guests we flew in there (from Perpignan, during a Spanish country wide strike) – handed over two bottles of red wine to us to enjoy, from their own vineyard. I only had that bottle like 3-5 years later – and it was excellent!

Last Edited by Yeager at 04 Sep 20:53
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Yeager wrote:

slipping on my ass – on an icy apron, and then having to use my own credit card to pay for the services!

Good one

Yeager wrote:

there are GPS approaches now-a-days

Yes, there are. But I’m not sure they’re a big help but in special conditions, as the offset, and the required MAP gradient, or plainly the high terrain around, require pretty high minimas…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

@Dan you make me smile because in the last few days you’ve posted photos of two places I remember very well, for better or worse. The last time I fell off a motorcycle was in Sept 2001 on Maloja Pass just south of the photo, but having picked myself up and discovered I was unhurt and the bike was rideable (both a bit of a miracle) I rode to the little beach where the road meets Lej da Segl, washed the mud off myself and carried on. I’ve been through there many times since and always give a jaundiced eye to that little beach as I pass.

The second one is your nice photo of Barcelonnette, where I have a better memory of parking within the photo, and having a coffee or ice cream. It was either hot or cold that day, uncomfortable, but I can’t remember which. I wondered when passing who uses the airport – clearly it is you!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Sep 00:32

today’s pics…

the Bietschorn looking West… time for fresh snow white

and the Mont Cervinu, this time as seen from the Italian side

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Recent Trip to Losinj

thats for Peter

Thanks very much
Always a super destination.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Pic of the day… sure don’t wanna play influencer… but here’s a selfie surfing the higher levels. I really do love modern times

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message