Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Synthetic Vision options, and marginal IFR

Peter wrote:

The whole SRTM package for X-Plane came on several DVDs

One of the big things with the SRTM package is that it needs massive post processing before you can use it for this kind of thing. And then it depends what resolution you want and there are loads of ways to reduce data quantity without loosing resolution, all of which are very big programming tasks. e.g. you can eliminate a lot of grid points in flat lands, in valley bottoms e.t.c. or on mountain slopes where they form a near straight line e.t.c, but this is high science to do. There are several products out for flight sims which all have required lots of work to implement. I know one where they actually manually corrected scenery around airports for hundreds of locations. The result is fantastic, but whether this kind of resolution can go into a tablett or let alone SV is questionable.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

You can. Foreflight have had it for a long time. But to be effective you need an AHRS source.

Screenshot of FF with AHRS.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Tomw posted on 4/1/2020. The magenta line goes down Loch Hourn. I’ve flown that, VFR, a few times.
I’ve also got more experience there in a canoe, and a 30’ fishing boat, in poorer weather. Strong SW wind forecast, loch calm in the narrow bits, sudden squalls, hitting the surface and raising spray. Maintaining altitude ( and attitude) in GA aircraft on the downdraft side would be impossible.
( The post order in this thread is mixed.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Some advertisement for my employer. Will this reach our modest SEP world before we are too old to fly?

Last Edited by Nestor at 05 Jan 23:40
LFLY, France
Sign in to add your message