Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lelystad - crazy prices

Excuse the fact that my Dutch is a bit rusty. I resorted to google translate in the end.

In the Lelystadt pricing document linked in the OP, it states different prices depending on Terreinvluchten or Overlandvluchten. Crudely, these translate into Ground Flying and Overland Flying.

Am I correct in thinking that the higher Overlandvluchten relate to landaways, and Terreinvluchten are local flights? Or is this something completely different?

The costs don't look too bad during the week, but are somewhat eye-watering for the weekend.

Could someone advise the difference in time/cost between getting from Lelystad to Amsterdam Central, and Rotterdam Airport and Amsterdam Central (by public transport). I seem to recall about 45 mins and 1 hour respectively.

Google translate can be quite amusing at times. It thinks there is a surcharge for "igniting the approach and/or runway". Could they use flame throwers instead of standard electric lighting perhaps?

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FogInvestigationandDispersalOperation

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

SSShhh! Don't mention this to EASA or we'll have a whole new regulation about burning tar barrels for runway lighting...

Seriously though, can anyone answer my question about the distinction between Overlandvluchten and Terreinvluchten?

Thanks

EGBJ, United Kingdom

Seriously though, can anyone answer my question about the distinction between Overlandvluchten and Terreinvluchten?

"Overlandvlucht" means cross country flight, while "Terreinvlucht" means "local flight". As a visiting pilot, your landing will be charged as a "Overlandvlucht".

Terreinvlucht Vlucht waarbij de opstijging en de daarop volgende landing op hetzelfde luchtvaartterrein plaatsvinden.

Aerodrome of start = aerodrome of landing.

The definition of overland vlucht in Germany (Überlandflug) would be outside of the vicinity of the aerodrome, i.e. where you can no longer observe the traffic pattern. This is mostly of relevance for briefing because you are required to study NOTAMs when going on an "Überlandflug" but not when you do a Lokalflug (Dutch terrein vlucht).

The practical relevance is most likely pattern flying.

Could someone advise the difference in time/cost between getting from Lelystad to Amsterdam Central, and Rotterdam Airport and Amsterdam Central (by public transport). I seem to recall about 45 mins and 1 hour respectively.

Lelystad to Amsterdam Central is 01:09 total time and will cost 11,16EUR one way. Rotterdam to Amsterdam Central is 01:12 total time and cost 15,66EUR one way.

You can find the public transport planner here: 9292.nl

But from Rotterdam you will feel as if you are in the civilized world while Lelystad is in the Polder ... an reclaimed piece of land in the middle of nowhere :-)

My preference would always be Rotterdam but arrange handling via the clubs.

My preference would always be Rotterdam but arrange handling via the clubs.

Earlier in this thread Commander offered arranging your handling via a flight club. Your landing would cost something like 20EUR then.

That would be your first choice for visiting The Netherlands. EHRD is a proper airport, with professional ATC, instrument approaches, car rental and normal opening hours.

Very helpful answers everybody - thanks a lot. I had quite a different assumption about the comparison between these two airports.

The club aircraft I am thinking of flying in with is not Mode S equipped - would this be a problem or require a circuitous route? I'd have a PLB rather than ELT.

I had asked about this before, and it was suggested that ATC are normally very helpful/accomodating about such archaic equipment, although they have the right to deny access to airspace without Mode S.

I recently met a microlight pilot who had fitted a Mode S specifically for Netherlands transit (he was based in the UK) although he didn't have an AI.

Since I lived in Rotterdam at one time in the distant past, I may even be able to do the usual tourist thing of flying over my (old) house!

EGBJ, United Kingdom

I believe ELT is now a requirement for any international flight. PLB will not suffice.

Mode S was mandatory in the Netherlands but I am not sure now. I have a vague recollection that this was abandoned last year ... after everybody had already upgraded but I am unsure.

This was the original document

However in the AIP I do not see any requirement

Sign in to add your message