Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your favourite country to fly in?

Scotland.

But the USA and Canada are a pretty good joint second.

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

Italy, for the beauty of the country, the food and the many private airfields where you pay nothing and are treated like a friend. BTW, more and more of these private fields are now selling also AVGAS.

Placido

LSZH

North America is home, so I have gotten quite used to flying here. There is only one state in which I have not flown (ticked the box on the second last, two weeks ago). The far north is very nice, as long as you like quiet and spacious! Alaska and the Yukon are magnificent, as is the eastern north of Canada and Greenland. Best to have good weather though!

I have enjoyed flying in Iceland, which was relatively expensive, but very accommodating to C172 touring. I also enjoyed float flying in Norway, great scenery.

My flying in Europe is limited mostly to lots of jump seat time in Germany, but it certainly seems a nice place to fly. I would like to fly the alps on a nice day. I enjoyed Greece and Africa, but that was some time ago, and a formal ferry flight, so probably not fairly representative of GA flying there these days. Politics aside, I'd be happy to do more flying in Kenya and South Africa though...

I've had the 150 all over eastern Canada, and the U.S., and once to the Bahamas. Bahamas is nice, but not much variation on scenery there. Customs were a little fussy.

My other plane is limited to Canada only, and there is so much to explore here that I will happily appreciate home in it!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I have enjoyed all my long trips (some written up here) although I had difficulties in some places.

The thing I don't like is a problem checking some airport's details and procedures. This tends to be more of an issue in certain countries in southern Europe...

If I can plan a flight technically, then doing it is just like any other flight. A runway is a runway, etc.

A lot of airports are run by people without a clue for generating business.

As for scenic flying, Switzerland, Croatia and Greece top the list. The Alps and the Pyrenees are great value, from a decent height.

I am sure Norway is very scenic (and I can reach Trondheim ENVA nonstop) but I have not seen MSLP charts showing 3-4 good days in a row, more than maybe a few times a year.

The UK is easy to fly around... most is Class G and you just take off, and IMC / VMC is all the same Some places do get busy though and I tend to avoid those on weekends, because many people do crazy things in the circuit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As a microlight flyer, and ((alas)) not yet speaking of practical experience:

France is quite ok, though some pragmatism is required.
Germany very nice if one does not exaggerate pragmatism. Eastern Germany seems particularly nice, many fields offering overnight accommodation on the grounds.
Austria is difficult and Switzerland impossible.
Italy is beautiful but some queer regulations (max 500' AGL ??) plus impractical to access what with the mountains and inhospitable neighbour countries.
Central Europe (CZ, SK, HU) seems attractive but I fear language problems, having travelled these countries driving and found precious little people speaking any language except local. Same applies to Spain, though Catalunya should be doable.
Portugal very distant, yet high on my wish list. A trip of two weeks at the very least.
Holland is expensive and little inviting to private flying - the one exception EHTX Texel is on my wish list though.
UK: queer, plus inherent risk in crossing the water. Some fine places and events reported, though. No language issues, at least.
Scandinavia: no idea, curious. I found most people a bit on the dull side, there; but I may have been unlucky. Lodgings and restaurants reported expensive and meagre.
Balticum: still less of an idea, yet more curious.
Poland: good reports on some forums, even night flying for microlights has been mentioned.
Russia/Ukraine: too early, might become nice in a few more years. Very distant, too.
Slovenia/Croatia: universally praised for PPL flying, I fear microlight flying is little developped as yet. Should be at least doable, probably even good.
Rest of Balkans: like Russia/Ukraine.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I am based in LSZH, Switzerland and of course I love to fly here. Lots of aerodromes, most of which are unproblematic, have fuel and (Schengen) customs. LSZH is expensive but it's home....

Other than that:

Germany and Austria are fairly unproblematic, has lots of VFR accessible airspace and many good airports.

Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia for ease of use and cheap fees and fuel, particularly in Belgrade.

Bulgaria, good and new small airports with fuel. Plovdiv for customs.

France: I used to love to fly in France and will continue to do so. Airspace is a mess however.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Actually, I love flying everywhere!

That's the spirit!

Ah...finally! ;-)

+1!

...Closely followed by the UK, Germany, France and, of course, Scandinavia. Actually, I love flying everywhere!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

For variety of scenery, the weather, the food and the people .... Italy.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

NZ has a lot going for it. Difficult and bureacratic to get in to (as a PPL), which gives it exclusivity once you do. Outstanding scenery and a relaxed flying environment in a country plastered in lovely airfields. Added to which, automated pumps everywhere (if in a Cessna, bring your own stepladder!), modern hotels in every town, a VFR flightplan system that works, glorious scenery (did I mention that?), relatively economical, etc.

I've put a write up here and on the Flyer 'Trip reports' section. NZ. Reccomended. (The place, not the trip report)

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message