Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

Reading some posts in this thread I realize how much valuable IMC rating is for UK use. If you combine with (IR(R)) it is just gold and piece of mind.

The IMCR is the IR(R).

PBN training requirements don’t apply to the IMCR presently. See posts 2 and 3.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Although the IMCR and IR(R) map onto one another in most respects, they are not the same thing.

The IMCR is only for use in Annex II aircraft and IR(R) only for EASA aircraft.

One difference is that EASA could decide to end the IR(R) in 2019, but the IMCR would live on.

Another is that EASA might enforce PBN on the IR(R), but the CAA not on the IMCR.

EGKB Biggin Hill

That’s an absolutely mind boggling play with words

The IMCR/IR(R), like the NPPL, is good for EASA aircraft until April 2018, AIUI.

And I can see that if EASA kills the IMCR/IR(R) in 2019 (as has been “scheduled” for almost a decade) the CAA can invoke the Equivalent Safety Case mechanism (assisted by Brexit making the whole thing a fait accompli anyway, enabling the CAA to tell EASA to go and p1ss in the wind on everything to do with aviation, this being limited only by the CAA’s desire to continue to be able to issue documents with “EASA” on the front, which is desirable) and keep the Rating, and then it could well be written in pilots’ licenses as “IMCR”.

Enforcing PBN onto the IMCR/IR(R) is a joke. Virtually all IMCR/IR(R) flying is cloud hole drilling in Class G, with the occassional Class G IAP, and the odd Class D IAP or IFR transit of a piece of CAS. You cannot fly any meaningful enroute IFR in Class D because, ahem, the UK has almost none of it. Most enroute CAS is Class A. Consequently UK ATC treat Class D IFR traffic as VFR, and it doesn’t matter because they are only short transits anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

The IMCR is only for use in Annex II aircraft and IR(R) only for EASA aircraft

Surely the IR(R) is valid for EASA and Annex 2 aircraft?

ps – got my PBN endorsement on my IR last week, the Liverpool RNAV approach worked out well, the PPL IR study manual was excellent pre-reading material

Now retired from forums best wishes

Peter,

Flying an RNAV approach in Class D is a PBN operation.

Balliol, sorry, yes, but my point was the other way round, the IMCR would probably survive the demise of the IR(R), and, whatever Peter thinks, it is not a slam dunk that PBN qualification will not apply to the IR(R) nor that the IR(R) will survive 2019, though I think that the smart money is that it won’t and it will.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I imagined IR(R) would be differences training before flying PBN approaches, however it is only ‘strongly recommended’ that IR(R) holders get trained in different approaches (other than that tested on) before flying them so not sure they could mandate it?

As an aside I wonder if this will kill off a lot of the old school legacy FNPT sims as they will be useless for IR revalidations and training? I see Aeros have brought another brand new DA42 Alsim this month

Now retired from forums best wishes

PBN training at Le Touquet

I spent the last week-end at Le Touquet to meet the requirements of Commission Regulation (EU) No. 539/2016 and get PBN privileges before the deadline of 25th August 2018. The course consisted of 3 hours of classroom training (TK) and 4 GNSS approaches. It was all supposed to take place on Saturday starting at 2 pm, but in the end, because of a front passage in the evening of Saturday, and the fact that we had such a good time that the TK lasted until after 7 pm, we did the practical training the next morning. I ended up with an EASA PBN Course Completion Certificate, a BFR (Flight Review) and an IPC (Instrument Proficiency Check). And on top of that I got my O2 bottles filled up.

My main criteria for this training were the obtention of a Course Completion Certificate in English, and the ability to do the practical part in my own airplane. The ATO, TOFINO France, was able to do so without any formalities.

TOFINO is FR ATO 0229 and hold approvals for distance learning for the CB-IR and EIR TK, as well as practical training towards those ratings on A-SEP, night rating and PBN training. Marc-Olivier Mehu, who I believe must be head of training, holds a UK license and ratings as well as FAA certificates and ratings including CFII. Marc-Olivier told me that he has quite a few UK students. Their training base at L2K is ideally located for UK students coming over in their own planes. There are plenty of aerodromes with IFR approaches around Le Touquet, between which you can fly IFR at 2-4000 feet, below the freezing layer most of the year, all under the control of Lille Approach thereby providing an ideal training environment. There is very reasonable accomodation nearby, either in Le Touquet or Etaples, and the school has also some rooms available for students and instructors at the airport.

You can find the contact information to TOFINO here.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with TOFINO, nor do I have any financial interests. I am just a happy customer.

LFPT, LFPN

So Tofino takes care of CB IR theory and flight training ? No need for Mermoz for the TK ?

If you have any idea of their charges, could you PM them to me please ?

LFOU, France

Call them directly. I have no idea what they charge and I see no reason why Mermoz should have any kind of monopoly.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message