Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

Here is an extract:

But why not just get PBN privileges? The UK CAA has made it very accessible.

You can get them by doing an EASA IR checkride or revalidation. How else? I asked “who are still utilising the derogation till April 2019?”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This does not affect US certificate holders as it is a Part.FCL requirement.

LFPT, LFPN

The thing is that all routes in controlled airspace in Europe are at least RNAV 5.

We have had an “angels dancing on pinheads” discussion on PPL/IR as to whether you could file and fly a series of DCTs and argue that you are not on an RNAV route, but as soon as you are directed to join a route you would have to say “unable”, and I guess that that would be career limiting.

EGKB Biggin Hill

You never miss a plug for your £80+/year site, Timothy (which I know well, having been there for 10 years) but EuroGA is free and reaches many more people, and I think post #26 is the answer, during the derogation period, which is what my question was about.

If this was an airspace requirement, like e.g. 8.33 or Mode S, that would be different.

At some point I will revalidate my EASA IR, probably before the official brexit date in case of some paperwork issues.

Administrator

I think that the point is that it’s not just approaches. If you are Part.FCL you need PBN privileges in the next four weeks to be able to fly airways.

EGKB Biggin Hill

So, someone who needs the EASA IR and who did their checkride or their last revalidation say six months ago will be “technically illegal” soon unless they do their revalidation a lot sooner than they planned.

Or maybe there is a standalone signoff one can get? If someone knows, they ain’t telling because I asked that in #25

In practice the chance of any enforcement is negligible especially as German issued IRs got it issued as standard

It is only a few months ago that examiners got the PBN privileges themselves so this is a stupid deadline which sends IR holders to get this endorsement before the next anniversary.

Administrator

Timothy wrote:

I think that the point is that it’s not just approaches. If you are Part.FCL you need PBN privileges in the next four weeks to be able to fly airways.

To enlighten us, please cite what regulation requires that. Thanks

LFPT, LFPN

Timothy wrote:

But why not just get PBN privileges? The UK CAA has made it very accessible.

Your joking!

Problem is you have to fly an approved gps approach, but there is a dearth of suitable approaches available in the UK, thanks to the CAA!

EGNS, Other

I’m with Timothy on this one. Just go ahead and get the PBN sign off. I did a short one day course with Central Flight Training at Tatenhill which is approved for PBN training earlier this year. Very informative and well run with a multi choice exam at the end and a certificate of completion if passed. Recently I revalidated my ME IR, showed the certificate to the examiner, flew an RNAV at Glos as part of the reval flight and then got signed off for PBN. I didn’t need to have the knowledge certificate and could have satisfied the knowledge part by experience and a few questions from the examiner but the day at CFT was actually quite useful and tailored to private IR flying. It is easy and straightforward to get the PBN approved on your licence so why wouldn’t you.

EGBW, United Kingdom

@JohnR does the Tatenhill PBN certificate meet the EASA FCL requirement, without a revalidation flight or any other involvement with the IRE you use for the EASA IR revalidation?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message