Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

Peter wrote:

there is no (practical) way to baro-aid a tablet product

From here (again and again and again ):
“SkyEcho 2 includes an integrated baro altimeter. The altimeter correlates cabin pressure altitude to altitudes of nearby traffic to give you more accurate relative altitude alerts.”

Seriously, I’m not working for the marketing department of these guys. But reading the specs before commenting doesn’t hurt

Also, absolute opinions are always wrong

Last Edited by Dimme at 12 Dec 10:18
ESME, ESMS

FWIW, in my TB20, an Ipad2 would lose GPS routinely

That is certainly a widespread experience (not just in TBs, but generally) but with a Garmin GLO on the coaming I would say that it never happens.

On the SBAS point (we really shouldn’t call it WAAS; WAAS does not exist in Europe, and this is a European forum), I would say that if your concerns are sufficiently great to worry about the advantages of SBAS enhancement for horizontal accuracy and integrity, then you should be biting the bullet and getting an approved SBAS receiver (GNSx30W, GTN or IFD).

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

It is standard in RAIM-capable IFR GPSs to have pressure altitude input.
….
Whether this is the only way to achieve RAIM I don’t know.
The GNS430 IM does say that pressure altitude input is required for RAIM, which I find surprising. Possibly it is using a RAIM algorithm that uses pressure altitude. AFAIK the use of pressure altitude can be used in lieu of an additional satellite for some calculations.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A search on e.g.

RAIM AND BARO*

digs up the answer

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Baro Aiding is not required for RAIM, but it does improve availability of calculating RAIM, particularly for approaches where the requirements are tighter.

KUZA, United States

Peter wrote:

A search on e.g.

RAIM AND BARO*

digs up the answer

Good to know that I remembered correctly!

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 12 Dec 15:07
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Bathman wrote:

I’ve never known my yoke mounted Nexus 7 ever to lose GPS signal.

It does not admit when it loose raw data/integrity but a good software will find the best guess where you should be
In my opinion, that is better than you guessing using old fashion nav or using those fishy signal from low range NDBs

If you add this to it it works just fine but I am still waiting for a built-in solution

https://bad-elf.com/collections/plug-in-gps/products/be-gps-1008

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Dec 18:36
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Dimme wrote:

From here:
“Aviation Integrity SBAS and RAIM enabled TSO-C199 GPS provides position data for ADS-B Out transmissions.”

SkyEcho looks tip top, worth gold for “low & slow level GA with no transponders & mogas”

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Flying VFR, relying on the moving map in Airspace Avoid on a Sony Experia, with a Nexus 7 as backup, I was looking for Beverly on my right, when I saw it directly ahead. I was about 1500’ due to cloud.
(Delivery trip with newly bought aircraft, and unfamiliar area.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

In the process of chasing my EASA IR renewal for which the flight test was done in Aug 2018, which the CAA “lost”, which their Chief Exec has written to me saying that due to what’s happened I will get a refund of the fee I have just been told that the examiner also needs to fill in SRG2199.

When I told them that I can’t see any reference to PBN on this form, they said it is OK to write PBN TESTED AND PASSED on the very bottom of SRG1157 (which was already sent in) and sign it. This is despite “PBN” this and that being written all over other forms in the application.

The story continues… thankfully this is required only once per life.

I wonder what procedure other CAAs around Europe are operating?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message