Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

A_A you are correct, an LPC is a checkride, Line Proficiency Check, and a few TRE Captains employed by the airline may make the pilot flying even hand fly a raw ILS – not quite the same as a DPE administered FAA ATPL checkride.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

A_A you are correct, an LPC is a checkride, Line Proficiency Check, and a few TRE Captains employed by the airline may make the pilot flying even hand fly a raw ILS – not quite the same as a DPE administered FAA ATPL checkride.

When I read part-FCL I see no difference at all how an ATPL checkride is conducted compared to how PPL/CPL/IR etc. checkrides are done.

According to part-FCL Appendix 9, B6, item 3.9.3.1, a raw data hand flown approach is mandatory on an ATPL checkride.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Purely on a point of terminology, an “LPC” is normally a “Licence Proficiency Check”, in other words the revalidation of the type or class rating, with or without IR. Airline pilots will also have an Operator Proficiency Check (OPC) as part of recurrent training.

I just received my new license.

As PBN was part of my training, the examiner submitted papers to the Swedish CAA stating that I have completed PBN training. However the new license that I received doesn’t mention PBN anywhere. I have asked other pilots and they all say that they only got a signature in their logbook. I didn’t get anything in the logbook besides the checkride signature and the fact that the checkride was after the 25:th of August (PBN deadline). Does that automatically imply that I have PBN? Or do I need to carry the checkride protocol with me at all times to prove that I have completed the PBN training?

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Does that automatically imply that I have PBN?

I wouldn’t count on it! Call the license office of the CAA. They are quite helpful.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’m now 20 hours into full IR training and there’s been no mention of PBN, and the 172 I’m training in has an old ‘not to be used for primary navigation’ GPS. I emailed the school today and they said they are in the process of getting the PBN approvals. If I get to the end of the training before this happens, does that mean I essentially end up with a useless IR that will need further training and another flight test to be useful?

If that’s the case would I be better off jumping ship at the 30 hour mark and doing a 10 hour CB-IR course at a foreign school that includes PBN? If anyone can recommend somewhere in France that would fit the bill I’d appreciate it.

EIMH, Ireland

does that mean I essentially end up with a useless IR that will need further training and another flight test to be useful?

@zuutroy not totally useless but the answer to your question is yes, although with a validly issued IR your subsequent flight test could be with an IR examiner (so someone who administers revalidation flights) and would just involve an oral on explaining your GNSS checks, and flying a GNSS RNAV approach to standard. He/she can then sign off your PBN approval. The school ideally might have an online PBN test.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@RobertL18C, are you sure that that is the best advice?

I look at IN 2017/034 and I see

1 If the pilot attends an ATO, either UK or non-UK approved, the pilot must ensure that all training undertaken is conducted at an ATO that holds an approval to conduct instrument training and has updated their syllabus to include the PBN elements.

Now, it is not 100% unambiguous as to whether the gloss that should be read is “If the pilot attends an ATO, either UK or non-UK approved, [..for the purpose of getting PBN validation..] the pilot must ensure” or “If the pilot attends an ATO, either UK or non-UK approved, [..for the purpose of getting an IR..] the pilot must ensure”

But my answer to @zuutroy would be a more conservative “getting an IR without PBN is pointless and useless, and I don’t think that the Skills Test may be conducted without an RNP approach, so cut your losses and go to a school that has the correct equipment, knowledge and approvals.”

EGKB Biggin Hill

I did my CB-IR training at an ATO without a PBN syllabus, but after receiving my course completion form I called my examiner about what would be requiered to get the PBN and CB-IR in one exam. He said I needed to get my theory in order and then we could go ahead with the exam including the PBN. To be honest, I got a different advise from everybody I asked. The Dutch organisation that issues the licenses took about three weeks to issue my new rating, but it says PBN on my license so I’m happy as can be.

EHTE, Netherlands

Ugh why does everything have to be so freaking difficult in aviation? I’ll just continue up to 30 hours and then maybe seek clarification from the examiner or the school on where things stand. Not planning to take the test before May anyway so some time to see if things fall in to place.

EIMH, Ireland
Sign in to add your message