Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying pilots back to their planes once separated by bad weather and a need to get home....

I flew into Compton Abbas (EGHA) a few days ago – delightful place, but in the middle of nowhere. I planned to spend some time in Salisbury, Wiltshire, which I did and which was also lovely, but I couldn’t then fly home this morning because there was mist and low cloud all over the south of the UK, and someone chose to site Compton Abbas airfield on the top of a hill, 811 feet above sea level, or rather 811 feet closer to clouds. I couldn’t extend my stay because of work commitments so my plane is now at Compton Abbas and I am in London. The journey home took nearly 4 hours by taxi and train and London underground. I really don’t fancy that long trip back to my plane by public transport, but I will if I have to of course.

So is there a business out there that flies pilots like me back to their planes in such circumstances? (A flying club I know has offered to help, at their normal flying rates, both ways, which is not a unreasonable stance – they need to earn a living, but the price is of course prohibitive.) It seems to me that such weather problems must be quite a frequent event. I wonder if an insurance-based arrangement could work – pilots paying £x per month so that if they are later separated from their planes in the circumstances that I describe, then the insurance company pays to fly the pilot back to his plane. I think this could work.. Probably needs some sort of insurance licence to get the business off the ground. Hmmm.

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Or just post in the various forums and I would imagine you’ll find plenty of willing pilots who will happily grab the opportunity to add mission to their flying. Only downside is you are stuck with them regardless of their piloting ability or lack there of.

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 21 Aug 21:44
Forever learning
EGTB

Howard wrote:

So is there a business out there that flies pilots like me back to their planes in such circumstances? (A flying club I know has offered to help, at their normal flying rates, both ways, which is not a unreasonable stance – they need to earn a living, but the price is of course prohibitive.) It seems to me that such weather problems must be quite a frequent event. I wonder if an insurance-based arrangement could work – pilots paying £x per month so that if they are later separated from their planes in the circumstances that I describe, then the insurance company pays to fly the pilot back to his plane. I think this could work.. Probably needs some sort of insurance licence to get the business off the ground. Hmmm.

I am afraid I think the adverse selection issues with that business model would be horrific. As said above, just ask around your friends or on a forum.

EGTK Oxford

The French aeroclubs have such an insurance.

I am afraid I think the adverse selection issues with that business model would be horrific

I agree, if it covered all GA activity, especially over the Channel which immediately multiplies the travel and aircraft retrieval costs. The very fact that it seems to work indicates that the actual claims are not people getting stuck hundreds of miles away. The policy wording would be interesting because most people would just jump into a taxi regardless of distance, and French taxis are (along with Italian ones) the most expensive anywhere.

Yet, I know cases where Shoreham people diverted to Biggin Hill or Lydd and in all cases just got a taxi because public transport is too slow and complicated.

Has anyone seen the wording of the French aeroclub policy? Howard’s expenses might qualify because Compton Abbas is a relatively short distance from London. It is just that the UK has a dreadful public transport system once you get away from the main commuting routes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How interesting that the insurance model works in France. What a pity that someone doesn’t run such a thing in the UK.

I have put some feelers out regarding a ferry flight and will see what comes back. It’s not just me that has a busy calendar!

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

For insurance to work you need the vast majority not doing stuff which might need it, but still pay the premiums

In France they have all/most of the clubs being members of some federation and it’s all well wrapped up with most pilots being club members, so lots of people are paying into the fund. And the mission profile of GA everywhere is that most people either don’t fly or do short local hops on nice days.

The UK GA scene is a lot less cohesive, so the people who would pay the premiums would be mostly the “wrong ones”

Also UK wx is more variable than the wx in the majority of France, especially as you get south of say La Rochelle.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think getting to know other owners is a good insurance policy. Personally I’d jump at the chance to give a friend a retrieve.

Andreas IOM

The FFA insurance is designed to reduced get-home-itis for the vast majority of VFR pilots when stuck far from home in marginal conditions. Instead of promoting IFR flying, they offer taxi rides when stuck :blink:
Pretty sure this insurance already saved lives.

To reduce abuses, you have to call the hotline before doing anything and they call a taxi for you, usually to the nearest train station (this ride is quite expensive like Peter said) and then offer the train back home.
I always wondered what they would do if you are stuck in Deauville on a bank holiday weekend like July 14 (all trains are full dans in advance).

I guess a pilot friend with experience on type is a great tool to the aircraft owner !

LFOU, France

Not exactly what you’re looking for, but why not post a request on Wingly?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I was stuck on Stronsay, Orkney, with our Inverness based Jodel. I phoned the Inverness flying school/club. Pax and myself took ferry to Kirkwall, then taxi to airport. CFI flew Pa28 to Kirkwall, and I logged the flight back. Cheaper than overnight accommodation. Cheaper than expected, as he had a student in the left seat for the flight Inverness to Kirkwall.
( I had damaged the plane on take-off. Flew it out, repaired, a few days later. Small repair, but big insurance bill, with engineer’s travel time and overnight stay. Cheapest travel option was again the school Pa28.)

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 22 Aug 18:08
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message