Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spend on flying per year as owners

I only keep track of my cost-per-hour to see how much I’m saving by being a Group member, over renting. I’ve known several Group members who would have been cheaper by far renting, due to low hours annually.
I don’t share Adam’s view that rented aircraft never have anything deferred, or inop.
Renting at present, while waiting to fit our wing, refurbished for £8,000, which we unloaded yesterday. This leaves us with a decent engine fund, unless we are unlucky.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Doc, may I suggest lowering your sights a little, onto an attainable target? The folks who write here mostly fly multi-seat IFR transcontinental rocket ships, which are obviously huge fun to own and fly, as well as being objects of justifiable pride and desire. But we can have a lot of fun in a C150 (or similar).

Jacko, while this is probably sensible advice it is just not what I want out of flying. For me the attraction of an aircraft is that I can get to places faster and in a much more interesting way than by driving. Yet I still want to be able to have the same transport utility as my car (a VW Touran), meaning I want to be able to take 3 or 4 people with me and also some luggage.

My problem is mainly that I’m not used to being so financially restricted in getting what I want, as I am in aviation. In all others walks of life I am a very careful buyer, informing myself about different products and making the best possible choice, usually buying the highest quality product that is not a ripoff. However, while I can easily afford to do so for say PC hardware or guns (two of my other hobbies ), even the cheapest and oldest C150 is something I can not easily afford right now, so I’ll have to make lots of compromises I would not make in other circumstances. And buying a cheaper, less capable plane would feel like too much compromise, because that’s money I’m not able to spend on a better one anymore.

What about buy your last plane first?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

If you want to carry 3 or 4 people along with you and a C150 is too expensive right now, I would seriously ask myself if I’d ever have so much MORE money in the future to OPERATE a Saratoga, Bonnie or the like.

EDLE

The closest you can get to your Touran without ruining yourself could be a C-182.

If your budget is low, and you still want capability, you have to think outside of the box. You have to pursue airframes or makes that are not mainstream. That means looking at older 210’s rather than 182’s. That means looking at a Bellanca Viking, rather than a Bonanza. It means looking at Mooneys, Grummans, Morane-Saulnier, Focke-Wulf, Stinson etc.

But what you save on purchase price you will likely spend on (rare) parts and on maintenance people troubleshooting without really knowing the type. Especially here in Europe.

No, purchase price on an old aircraft is the smallest problem.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Indeed. There is nothing more frustrating than owning a nice plane which you cannot afford to fly.

EDLE

Go for the 90% rule, although taking four passengers implies a Cherokee 260 as the closest to a budget aircraft. Even at 55% quite thirsty and maintenance while straightforward, will be a multiple of a 150. You could form a syndicate around it.

Excellent load carrying ability.

Only three passengers and older 172 types or Cherokee 180 will have 1000 lbs useful load which allows for four passengers and some baggage and 2 hours with reserves.

They cost less than a 152 as these are working school aircraft which carry a premium.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

MedEwok, the solution is easy peasy, just buy a share of a good condition and well operated aircraft. A 160hp pa28 or a light 172 will carry two adults and a child (two children if you don’t pack much luggage). A 180 hp variant of either will be a bit better on useful load while still being economical. A 182 is even better, but is a bit more fuel when you are alone.

If you budget is tight, just get a share you can easily afford, fly a lot, have fun and save you cash for a later day. Perhaps as your career progresses you will be in a position to buy your own. At least you will gain experience of what you like or don’t like.

I owned a share of a pa28-160 right after I got my license and flew it more than 350 hours; mostly because I wasn’t worried about the cost. There were 10 people in the group but only a couple of them did any flying. There was never a conflict. It was great, trips all over the Canadian Rockies, to California, visiting various islands. All fantastic stuff.

I don’t really recommend oddball types to reduce ownership costs. They might be fun, or suit your preference, but don’t confuse that with being convenient or economical. Save that for later if you really want something specific.

See if any shares are availible at your local airport, if anything catches your fancy meet the group and go from there. There is lots of great flying to be done!

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

I own and rent an aircraft.
This for almost 6 years, and I have flown personally from 35 to 100 hrs per year.
If I were to do it again, i think i would share ownership.

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 19 Dec 13:18
Sign in to add your message