Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diesel: why is it not taking off?

What is strange here is that the Continental CDs aren’t much better considering all the “development” that has been done on them, and considering they are originally MB car engines. Commercial trucks runs for 1M km without anything happening, and the engines used are much more complex, and endure much more abuse.

Maybe, but they are allowed to be much heavier and are installed in a completely different vibration regime than in an aircraft.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Continental extends TBR on CD-135 and CD-155 to 2100hrs, and doubles gearbox TBR to 1200hrs.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

That’s a big jump for the CD155. I guess used previously owned DA42s just experienced a price hike

Last Edited by Aviathor at 21 Apr 08:59
LFPT, LFPN

Yes, it does change the numbers for the CD-155 significantly, and in a good way. BUT the new TBR applies only to new / replacement engines, so maybe not so much a price hike for older planes. But the trend is promising, and their comments about the bigger engine materializing next year just might be true. We’ll see next year ;)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Gosh that is a jump. Would it not be better to have 2400 hours tbr with 1200 on the gearbox. I wonder if that is where they are heading next.

Give it a couple years and another TBO / R hike of 1000 or more hours and we will hopefully finally get past the “unlike aero engines, car engines cannot run at high power settings for long periods of time” mantra.

I had forgotten about that mantra… I am convinced making airplane piston engines from mass-produced automotive engines is the future and I really look forward to the certification of the CD-300. It is sorely missing. And maybe then Diamond will finally have a viable powerplant for the DA50?

LFPT, LFPN

What was the tbo previously?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

1500 hours for the CD135
1200 hours for the CD155

Old gearbox still 300h if dual mass 600h
Now 1200h

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

dublinpilot wrote:

What was the tbo previously?

Actually it wasn’t TBO – it was TBR:
- CD135 1500