Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diesel: why is it not taking off?

To upgrade a stock DA42 to a -NG (now called -VI) it’s in the range of 350.000€ depending on options (oxygen, waas, GFC700 and weather radar).
The plane has to go back also to the factory and it’s take some time (3-4 month) to get it completed.

Don’t now what’s the best… Will see in 800 hours what will do with our…

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

I was only thinking along the lines of AE300 and GFC700 so that it remains comparable to the CD-155 engine upgrade. O2 and weather radar are not required for the NG upgrade. I think there are also some aerodynamic changes required for the NG, like the installation of vortex generators.

LFPT, LFPN

I flew the first one in France that was converted from 1.7L to -IV. They change a lot of part of the aircraft. From memory:
-New baggage door
-Complete overhaul of the landing gear (aircraft is heavier)
-New engine and cowling
-New prop
-Ailerons (attach are thiner )
-Complete change of the tail
-Upgrade to WAAS

some other thing but can’t remember…

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

There are two possibilities for CD-155 upgrade – one is in DAI facility in WN the other is on Crosby STC. I’m aiming for the 2nd one that’s substantially cheaper with same gain. Regarding WAAS and GFC700, nice but not necessary. My engines are around 1250 which means less than two years (more likely 18 months) to replacement. When time comes I’ll decide and it will be either going for CD-155 or switching to turboprop, depending on finances available

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

BTW -IV upgrade is €240k AFAIK. Crosby’s upgrade start with €125k plus additional €25k for optional scimitar props.

@Romain: Do you know how much this conversion costed?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

NG doesn’t gave wortex generators (Crosby’s conversion has them) rudder authority in case of OEI is ensured with bigger rudder – that’s why they do tail modifications. Landing gear is more-less completely changed as I understand to feature 1999 kg aircraft (comparing to 1780 kg originally).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

BTW -IV upgrade is €240k AFAIK. Crosby’s upgrade start with €125k plus additional €25k for optional scimitar props.

@Romain: Do you know how much this conversion costed?

They did it when it came out (almost to years now) the mechanic told me he paid more or less 200.000€. (With GFC700 and GDL69)
He had a good price but as he was one of the first to get the conversion, it took the factory 8 month to do it…

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

The -NG conversion I fly does have vortex generators on the wings. Need to be careful not to step on them. It is not a -VI. MTOW 1900 kg, MLDW 1805 kg. AE300. GFC700.

Don’t think the LDG was changed, nor the tail.

LFPT, LFPN

NG upgrade is definitely different than -VI.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

NG upgrade is definitely different than -VI.

NG upgrade is basically just the engine change (Austro Engine)
-VI upgrade has Austro Engine and all the aerodynamical modifications increase of MTOW…

Do you think they will put the AE330 (180hp) on the next model of DA42 ? He should be able to cruise around 200kts (with less than 92% of power)

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB
Sign in to add your message