Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What's the cheapest method of getting realtime inflight weather in Europe

The ADL product, and some of the wx radar websites, overlay radar data (typically obtained from here) with sferics (typically obtained from here).

I would expect a stormscope to show the same thing as the sferics data and in general it corresponded fairly well, where I had an opportunity to compare the two in flight (not very often because at most altitudes I fly at where hazardous wx was relevant, I get no 3G/4G so would have been using Thuraya, which I don’t like because it often doesn’t work and is cumbersome to use, with the Thuraya satphone on the end of a USB cable) after allowing for the stormscope range being out by anything up to a factor of 2 (usually in the “safe” direction i.e. showing the strike a lot closer than it really is). Azimuth was usually very accurate (within a few degrees) relative to visually detected CBs; a lot more accurate than my £13k TCAS

I found cases where the WX500 stormscope showed strikes (isolated ones, never a cluster of them) but the sferics image didn’t show anything, but never vice versa.

So I can’t agree that a stormscope is pointless, although I well see that Jason’s radar is better for tactical avoidance of hazardous wx if flying in IMC in a well de-iced aircraft – if the decision is to be either radar-only or stormscope-only. Big jets (a bigger version of Jason’s) evidently agree with this and while all have radar, most don’t have a stormscope or indeed any kind of airborne-delivered wx feed.

However the cost delta is a factor of 10 at least, and you cannot fit a radar to almost all SEPs, whereas you can fit a stormscope to just about anything. I think most twins used for serious IFR already have radar installed (not always working though, due to cost of repairs). You could fit a radar to a TB20 or an SR22 etc (an under-wing pod) and @pilot_dar will probably know how but the paperwork and flight testing would cost you a fortune

I have often used the stormscope to make long-range tactical decisions. In light GA IFR one is constantly making these, playing the buildup-avoidance game as far ahead as one can see; 100nm in some cases. ATC don’t always believe you (although that one didn’t involve the stormscope)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message