Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

More UK airspace facepalm worthy moments...

Airborne_Again wrote:

In class C there is no such restrictio

Is that true please? I was taught that the speed restriction applies in ALL airspace below 10000ft amsl except when authorised by ATC for the sector they control in CAS.
Thanks

UK, United Kingdom

The speed restriction applies to aircraft that are not subject to full ATC separation.

So Class A and B – no speed restriction; Class C – no speed restriction for IFR.

Biggin Hill

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

Is that true please? I was taught that the speed restriction applies in ALL airspace below 10000ft amsl except when authorised by ATC for the sector they control in CAS.
Thanks
Yes, it is true as regards airspace class rules. Please check SERA.6001(a) and/or appendix 4 to SERA. As I wrote, there can be ATC imposed speed restrictions and such speed restrictions can be disregarded after ATC authorisation.

(Really, all pilots should be familiar with SERA!)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Cobalt wrote:

The speed restriction applies to aircraft that are not subject to full ATC separation.

Exactly!

Well that’s told me! I had better memorise SERA before my next flight.

UK, United Kingdom

I don’t even know where to find SERA :)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

With all respect, you’re opinion isn’t relevant. A VFR flight has to follow “ATC instruction” — that is, a clearance — but can demand a different clearance if the one offered is impossible or unsafe to follow. In the worst case if ATC can’t offer an alternate clearace, the pilot can exercise emergency authority.

Haven’t really given all this much thought, but when reading that ICAO chapter it’s rather straight forward IMO. But I have seen in the AIP that IFR must have equipment to be able to follow ATC instructions, no such thing for VFR. Besides VFR in class C enroute is cleared to fly from A to B at a prescribed alt, and that’s it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

IFR must have equipment to be able to follow ATC instructions

What exactly does that mean…?

LeSving, from Annex 2.

3.6.5.1 An aircraft operated as a controlled flight shall maintain continuous air-ground voice communication watch on the appropriate communication channel of, and establish two-way communication as necessary with, the appropriate air traffic control unit, except as may be prescribed by the appropriate ATS authority in respect of aircraft forming part of aerodrome traffic at a controlled aerodrome.

A VFR flight within CONTROLLED airspace is a CONTROLLED flight.

4.8 VFR flights shall comply with the provisions of 3.6: a) when operated within Classes B, C and D airspace;

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 14 May 14:21
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Dave_Phillips wrote:

A VFR flight within CONTROLLED airspace is a CONTROLLED flight.

Except class E, of course…

Sign in to add your message