Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spin training

RobertL18C wrote:

Hence as with all spin training, recovery is highly type specific.

From what our local aerobatics instructor says a NASA study showed that almost all aircraft can be recovered (although perhaps not optimally) by the same recovery procedure: Power to idle, ailerons neutral, full up elevator, full opposite rudder, neutral elevator

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

RobertL18C wrote:

typical club aerobatics might have briefly negative 1 g (half cuban, straight and level roll) through to 4 g

The sky is the limit.
In reality, you creating your own manoeuvres after a while.
You ask you learn you create, regardless of basic-advanced.
From my early stages of training, I experience -3 +6 just because I ask for it. There are no limits on Aerobatics.

RobertL18C wrote:

It’s the range from negative to positive that leads to grey out and potential G-loc, or just sustaining say 4 g plus for some time.

Yes, and there is a lot of factors there.

Airborne_Again wrote:

almost all aircraft can be recovered

It says almost all, not all. It must work for some or they wouldn’t say it.

I know that a couple of types I have flown will never recover if the stick isn’t pushed all the way forward. You need to unstall the wings, so I don’ see how stick right back does that.
Last Edited by Neil at 26 Jun 11:06
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Neil wrote:

o I don’ see how stick right back does that.

It is related to the large surface of the rudder and the geometry of the specific aircraft.
What they told me is, directing part of the rudder airflow(when in spin) to the surface of the elevator is a way for recovery.
I tried both ways and they are working fine. Don’t imagine any extreme movements of the elevator…

The Inverted Spin video from 1943 was superb. Nice post BF. Keep it simple and don’t panic is the rule of thumb. My view is that anyone flying an aeroplane should have at least experienced a spin. If only for confidence and the feeling that having gone through the process gives you. A very small percentage of pilots actually like doing these things, however, one day it may well save your skin understanding the recovery method.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Neil wrote:

I know that a couple of types I have flown will never recover if the stick isn’t pushed all the way forward. You need to unstall the wings, so I don’ see how stick right back does that.

It doesn’t. Stick right back reduces the blanking effect the stabiliser has on the rudder of quite a few aircraft. Once the rudder starts having effect (after a second or two), you push the stick forward.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

RobertL18C wrote:

Apparently screaming helps.

That makes sense because screaming increases thoracic pressure and thus blood pressure.

Obviously some pilots are more inclined to aerobatics than others. I seem to be highly susceptible to G forces.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

RobertL18C wrote:

Sustained negative g leads to popping blood vessels in the face and eyes.

I don’t like coming back home with red spots around eyes and on forehead. I always think that the same is going on in my brain. Mini strokes killing few cells every flight. On the other hand, many older people who have flown aerobatics for most of their lives seem fit and fresh. What’s your take on this? @MedEwok ?

LPFR, Poland

Airborne_Again wrote:

Neil wrote:
It doesn’t. Stick right back reduces the blanking effect the stabiliser has on the rudder of quite a few aircraft. Once the rudder starts having effect (after a second or two), you push the stick forward.

It depends of the type and if you are in a flat spin or not…

Last Edited by jvdo at 26 Jun 20:20
EBMO, EBKT

The Grob 115E I fly has the alternative spin recovery of release the control column after rudder input, however this is only to be used in an emergency and will take up to 3 additional turns to recover.

Interesting video but I can’t see the training value in large number of turns such as 20, 4 should be sufficient for all training purposes. Out of interest, if I applied our mandated height calculations the Minimum Entry Height for 20 turns would be 13,000ft!

Now retired from forums best wishes
Sign in to add your message