Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Foreflight - how to close flightplan after arrival?

That was NL using fax.

Goes back years.

“Filing in SD blocked” makes no sense. The recipients don’t know. They just see the AFTN message. IFR works everywhere just fine.

Thread off the rails now. This is about closing FPs in FF.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

SkyDemon does not always work, I tried it upon landing in Pontarlier recently after a CH→FR flight and while SD confirmed that my FPL was closed, I got a phone call from ATS shortly afterwards to tell me that I did not close my FPL

The other thing some ARO in Europe refuse VFR FPL sent via KBLIHAEX gateway, I think SkyDemon has to use other means (including an automated SD App-to-Fax behind the scenes), I imagine these FPL will have issues when one sends “close”?

I don’t think CH/FR have any “objections” on SkyDemon AFTN FPL? I know other countries where filing in SD gets blocked

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Apr 19:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

They said that “close messages from apps” are not transmitted to their services.

They probably do not understand how this works.

SD subcontract VFR flight plan functions to EuroFPL.eu. It was me who introduced the guy who coded SD (Tim Dawson) to Travis Holland who owns EuroFPL, many years ago. Actually 26 Nov 2010!

EuroFPL is a very good service but basically it is one part time IT guy looking after the whole thing, and the “European flight system” is constantly breaking (FPs not being distributed properly, etc) so it is a constant firefighting job. I recall a post on the main UK “chat site” where SD dragged out this poor guy and got him to post a whole page grovelling apology. EuroFPL get paid for this but they can’t always deal with the hassle.

It is also possible that the US AFTN gateway KBLIHAEX is not 100% reliable.

Administrator

SkyDemon does not always work, I tried it upon landing in Pontarlier recently after a CH→FR flight and while SD confirmed that my FPL was closed

Was it spot on EOBT & ETA? I am not sure if there is a window for things to work?

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Apr 18:27

NCYankee wrote:

In the US, Leidos provides an interface through which VFR flight plans may be activated and subsequently closed.

Interesting. I filed a flight plan once, I think it was in 2002 or 2003 as a student pilot. I don’t imagine I’ll ever do it again unless Mexico beckons

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Apr 18:19

Unfortunately closing a VFR FPL within SkyDemon does not always work, I tried it upon landing in Pontarlier recently after a CH→FR flight and while SD confirmed that my FPL was closed, I got a phone call from ATS shortly afterwards to tell me that I did not close my FPL…
They said that “close messages from apps” are not transmitted to their services.
So I systematically call them now or alternately close the FPL with the FIS before joining the destination circuit.

BOD
LSGY, LFSP, LFHM, Switzerland

I recently learned that skydemon allows you to do this – very convenient!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

European flight plan filing apps use the “famous” KBLIHAEX AFTN gateway which is in the US and isn’t free by any means.

ForeFlight does not process Activate or Close of VFR flight plans except in the US

Is that blocked by ForeFlight outside US? I definetly used it, maybe in US

Edit: I just checked, it does not even list “activate” in green (only cancel & amend)

I had today big problems to close FPL in france as German service couldn’t do this, they was connecting me to French office where noone was picking up the phone

SkyDemon can Close VFR FPL (comes handy in France), it’s quiker than calling +33156301301

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Apr 20:05

NCYankee wrote:

ForeFlight does not process Activate or Close of VFR flight plans except in the US. In the US, Leidos provides an interface through which VFR flight plans may be activated and subsequently closed.

Looks like. Thats pitty. I had today big problems to close FPL in france as German service couldn’t do this, they was connecting me to French office where noone was picking up the phone.

When I make FPL via EuroFPL I can close it even if it wasn’t activated by me but by tower.

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

so where did

Click ‘flights’, scroll on the one you are after and press ‘Close’, remember, this only works on pure VFR FPL sent via AFTN

come from?

European flight plan filing apps use the “famous” KBLIHAEX AFTN gateway which is in the US and isn’t free by any means.

Administrator
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message