Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Moving G-reg to EASA-reg (and flying G-reg on EASA papers post-brexit)

Yes, which is why I underlined “issued by”, and why this is a different sort of validation to what European countries have traditionally offered, and to the EASA scheme which was restricted to EASA-reg planes.

The EASA equivalent to FAR 61.3 would be EASA issuing a directive to force each member country to validate any license (for noncommercial use, traditionally) for use with an EASA-reg plane. EASA has not done that, instead they force each member country to validate any EASA license for any EASA-reg plane. So while the US 61.3 facilitates a rather open club, the EASA version is a club closed to EASA countries.

On the topic, it is possible the UK CAA is doing some under the table scheme to allow foreign licenses to be used on a G-reg. They actually did this openly until around 2012 (any ICAO PPL was ok for a G-reg), this then continued only for a G-reg homebuilt and it may still do. This concession changed around several times.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We’ve done this several times here (possibly even further up this thread), but it’s probably worth repeating: the EU is NOT a country! The FAA 61.3 privileges apply within the issuing country, e.g. France, Germany, Spain, etc.

I don’t think so. ISTM that all that happened is that the UK is now out of the EASA (and previously JAA) automatic mutual validation system.

Before JAA, there was no automatic validation; instead most countries routinely validated others’ papers upon request.

The FAA 61.3 is an automatic validation of any ICAO license (for an N-reg) so long as you fly in the issuing country airspace outside the US so it is a bit odd. It is what I would do if I wanted to maximise my country’s influence abroad in a benign but effective manner

Administrator

That‘s what I was meaning… I don‘t know if UK law is similar US law or has a similar exception that applies Europe-wide instead of just the licence issuing country.

LSZK, Switzerland

Yes – sort of a similar thing.

However the FAA 61.3 concession applies only to a license issued by the country of the airspace, whereas the EASA mutual validation system applies to all of EASA-land.

@AlwaysWondering Posts moved to a previous thread

Administrator

I wonder if the UK rules here are similar to N-reg.

An N-reg aircraft can be flown by a pilot in the country that issued his/her non-US national (in this case EASA) licence under the limits of that licence, if approved by the country in question, but not in any other country.

LSZK, Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

If that time has expired, then you need to apply for validation with the UK CAA before flying a UK registered plane with an EASA license.

It has – the OP will need a license issued by the UK CAA.

EGTR

AlwaysWondering wrote:

I was told by someone it is totally OK to fly a UK registered plane, in EASA member state airspace with an EASA licence. Is this correct?

I don’t think EASA would mind, but the UK CAA might. You must have a license issued by the state of aircraft registry unless that state has chosen to validate the license.

Validation among EASA member states is automatic. I understand that when the UK left EASA after Brexit the UK CAA decided to automatically validate EASA licenses for a period of time. If that time has expired, then you need to apply for validation with the UK CAA before flying a UK registered plane with an EASA license.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm current regulations?

I was told by someone it is totally OK to fly a UK registered plane, in EASA member state airspace with an EASA licence. Is this correct?

Lots of the information online is old and refers to the approval letter thing valid before 2023.

Thanks.

United Kingdom

Well, there is also CAR3, the predecessor to Part 21, right?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
96 Posts
Sign in to add your message