Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G-WINS ditched off Jersey - 2 POB - all safe

Pretty scary. Things can go bad very quickly, even 2km from shore. I have a PLB but will it work when needed? Seems theirs did, which is great. And they had a raft and time to get it out, get it inflated, and get into it. I hope we can find out what happened to the engine.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Looks like it was an IFR training flight?

I think they did a brilliant job carrying all the survival kit and locator even for local training flight 1nm offshore…I am still puzzled it took 1h (even with PLB) for rescue to turn up but conditions at sea were very rough this week

I crossed the channel earlier this week, it was blustery: 65kts winds at 6kft outbound !!

For out/return, I went for the short crossing via Dover while staying within glide range rather than straight direct on long crossing as it was cold & windy (fuel is cheaper than flying twin )

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Nov 09:04
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

they had a raft and time to get it out, get it inflated, and get into it

yep, it probably helps if the aircraft stays upright, as was probably the case…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Flightaware produces a much better track than the near-dead FR24:

They descended from 4500ft over 10km / 6 mins.

FlightAware track log

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dan wrote:

yep, it probably helps if the aircraft stays upright, as was probably the case…

I’m guessing with that strong headwind they just plopped into the water with very little forward motion, helping them stay upright.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Hats off to the lifeboat crews. Am always in awe of what these guys do.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

It seems like the two crew did a great job. It appears that the throttle just became unresponsive and seemed to be stuck at 1,000 RPM. There were no bangs and no massive failures noticed

Fuel pump was turned on, tanks were changed, nothing happened but they did think the engine was running at 1,000 RPM. I know that in a 0-360 piper with a carb, if the throttle cable snaps, the engine goes to max revs with a spring. I have no idea what happens with an injected 6 cylinder

I am interested if an engine wind milling at 1,000 revs would sound like it is running? Presumably you have manifold pressure etc and as the prop is turning it could be deceptive. I wonder if the ATC tapes could detect engine “sound” or not?

Apparently it landed perfectly and floated for 3 minutes so great job both of them!

United Kingdom
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Job well done by the crew, both in preparation of the flight with emergency equipment and obvious briefing to what to do in case and the execution of the emergency ditiching.

Interesting description of the failure, they lost power and regained partial power by retracting the throttle up to 13", which unfortunately was not enough to maintain altitude.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message