Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G1000 - Display both GPS and NAV on CDI?

Sure, it’s possible…
The Avidyne Entegra PFD can show at the same time
3 different nav sources (gps or vor, dme, ils etc), one green cdi, one blue arrow, one only bearing, distance…. and at the same time you can display the route IN THE PFD and the track

You can only show one CDI the others are RMI needles.

EGTK Oxford

OK; my EHSI can show a CDI and an RMI pointer also, with the two driven from any two sources picked from all inputs that are provided to the instrument.

However a CDI presentation (a left-right deviation bar) is possible only from GPS VOR or LOC. It is not possible from an NDB – in any system I know of. With an NDB you can have only an RMI pointer.

I think a CDI is also possible from LORAN and TACAN but I have no way of testing those

Last Edited by Peter at 03 Mar 12:29
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, of course, sorry. You are right for the CDI. There are no glass cockpits with more CDIs, would be too confusing anyway

The G1000 cannot display both a GPS track and a VOR-based CDI so, as Jason said, if you also want VOR or NDB data on the display would will need to select them as bearing pointers.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Unless a SID/STAR is labelled “RNAV” it “must” be flyable using the navaids which are referenced in the diagrams…

Sure. But there are more and more airports, that have almost no non-RNAV SID any more. Look at LSZH for example: most SIDs there only offer you a choice between RNAV and P-RNAV.

EDDS - Stuttgart

must be flyable by receiving BIG and DET.

You’d need Dover too, or how else would you navigate from ACORN to D31DVR?

And AFAIK if the SID/STAR isn’t labelled RNAV, it not only must be flyable with classical nav, but you actually have to constantly verify your position against classical nav raw data…

LSZK, Switzerland

But there are more and more airports, that have almost no non-RNAV SID any more

Yeah – that’s another old issue, but everybody has a GPS qualified for enroute IFR at least, I would think…

PRNAV is a bigger one but AFAIK not a single airport enforces PRNAV. LSZH (Zurich) doesn’t put it in writing but LKPR (Prague) pretty well does

There must be loads of challenges with basic IR training these days. They do have to train NDBs all the time they exist anywhere in the world, but the time will come when there aren’t any conveniently located ones.

Last Edited by Peter at 03 Mar 13:14
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There must be loads of challenges with basic IR training these days. They do have to train NDBs all the time they exist anywhere in the world, but the time will come when there aren’t any conveniently located ones.

You can do the NDB training in the FNPT II.

Regarding NDBs I suspect VORs will be gone before NDBs disappear. At least that´s what I see around Munich: Two VORs were taken down a few years ago but no NDBs as far as I know. I guess it is a cost factor and compared to VORs the NDBs cost next to nothing to operate. Besides , NDBs have quite a bit more range and that´s why Russia used to have no VORs. Vic
vic
EDME
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message