Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G1000 Flightlog Landing & Flight Analysis Prototype

I use 4GB cards in G1000 but the version I have (2007 DA42) doesn’t support logging flight data.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Airborne_Again wrote:

Ok. Those are not readily available anymore. Ordinary retail shops seem to have only SDHC or SDXC, although I found an electronics distributor who does have straight SD cards.

Do you know if 4 GB cards can be used, or only 2 GB?

This is really non-trivial. It could change with software version (there is a good chance it’s possible to add the support if they ever need it). I vaguely remember Quest issuing an SB because they sold their aircraft with SDHC cards and encountered some issues, so they replaced them with SD cards. Both from SanDisk I think.

If you’re using it just for logging, there should be no harm (well, not that much) in experimenting. Just format it correctly (I think you need FAT32, it should say so in the manual). You can try whatever you have available and see before you start fishing. 2 GB is to me a safer bet.

Last Edited by Martin at 02 Mar 11:07

I use CirrusReports to store my flights and I find it nice and easy.
I would appreciate a similar tool to handle data offline.

Jean
EBST, Belgium

Maybe it depends on your software version but I have certainly used 4GB cards and I think 8GB.

Last Edited by JasonC at 01 Mar 22:37
EGTK Oxford

There was a big change once they went above 2GB and most consumer electronic devices from that era did not work with the 4GB ones. And a few that did work with the 4GB ones would not work with 8GB or bigger because there was another change at 8GB.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You can use almost any size card. I think the fast cards work too.

EGTK Oxford

Martin wrote:

You don’t need a special card from Garmin. However, that doesn’t mean any card will work. I think you need a “straight” SD, no HC or XC.

Ok. Those are not readily available anymore. Ordinary retail shops seem to have only SDHC or SDXC, although I found an electronics distributor who does have straight SD cards.

Do you know if 4 GB cards can be used, or only 2 GB?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This is a good initiative.

I would suggest a simplified interface like CirrusReports to allow those who want to just review their track and times etc can do it. Also an advanced section for aeronautical engineers. I used to use it to put together my log book for flights. They are all saved. A bulk upload function is a good idea as well.

EGTK Oxford

I think analysis of logs is useful for training. Especially for reviewing solo flights. Engine trend monitoring, definitely useful. I like to use logging to check for any limit exceedance. Especially good for aerobatics and that sort of thing. It’s without doubt useful where competition is involved. For casual flying, it could be interesting to some and it’s nice to have a tool if you want to investigate something.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Do you have to buy an outrageously priced specially formatted card from Garmin or will a standard SD card do?

You don’t need a special card from Garmin. However, that doesn’t mean any card will work. I think you need a “straight” SD, no HC or XC.

fabian wrote:

As most of you probably know, the G1000 can log a multitude of flight and engine information when you insert a SD card into the MFD.
I’ve never actually tried it. Do you have to buy an outrageously priced specially formatted card from Garmin or will a standard SD card do?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message