Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G1000 major failure on brand new Cirrus SR22 GTS

Dave_Phillips wrote:

What, like the yellow Terrain WRG that appeared in the top right of the PFD?

The failure is GPS or SD card according to one experts here. A number of reasons according to another. It’s just weird it doesn’t report exactly what kind of subsystem is not working by itself IMO.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Hit the Alert button on the bottom right hand side of the PFD and you get a resume identifying which G** unit has an error or if there has been a database mismatch (most common cause of synthetic terrain DB failure).

Alternatively, turn the outermost FMS knob on the MFD for two clicks and then the inner for 5 clicks and you get a full breakdown of system status with lots of handy green ticks and red crosses next to each LRU. This page is also very helpful in telling you the status of the various databases. Hit DBASE (bottom middle) and turn the outer FMS knob so you can scroll through the various sections of the bottom right-hand window, cunningly called DATABASE. This will tell you what has happened to the terrain/whether it is there. The G1000 Pilots’ Manual is a useful read.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 19 Dec 21:34
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

@turillo1986

Is that a minor issue in a modern GA aircraft (a 2014 airplane is considerable new in my standards guys)? I’m sorry but if that plane was mine, i would expect higher standards from my suppliers!

You can “expect” a lot of things. But what has that to do with reality? The reality is that all machines created by men will fail at one point. Nuclear power plants, Space Shuttles, Airplanes. If you cannozt accept that, then flying GA airplanes is not for you.

turillo1986 wrote:

I agree it didnt’ put them in any danger, but that’s because they were in optimal weather, with a proper backup for routing (Ipads).

They didn’t lose their flightplan or the ability to change it. They were very safe.

EGTK Oxford

LeSving wrote:

The failure is GPS or SD card according to one experts here.

From the movie it is clear that they never lost GPS.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Dave_Phillips wrote:

it the Alert button on the bottom right hand side of the PFD and you get a resume identifying which G** unit has an error or if there has been a database mismatch (most common cause of synthetic terrain DB failure).
The warning/advisory softkey will flash/highlight if there is any information. I couldn’t see that it ever did — which surprised me.

Alternatively, turn the outermost FMS knob on the MFD for two clicks and then the inner for 5 clicks and you get a full breakdown of system status with lots of handy green ticks and red crosses next to each LRU. This page is also very helpful in telling you the status of the various databases. Hit DBASE (bottom middle) and turn the outer FMS knob so you can scroll through the various sections of the bottom right-hand window, cunningly called DATABASE. This will tell you what has happened to the terrain/whether it is there. The G1000 Pilots’ Manual is a useful read.

As far as I could see on the video, they did check the system status page.

It will only flash until viewed.

I’m sure they did check the Status page. My comment was responding to the assertion that the G1000 doesn’t tell the pilot what is wrong.

Fly safely

Dave_Phillips wrote:

It will only flash until viewed.
Yes, but then it will remain highlighted as long as the condition remains.

Nope. Once you have viewed the alert the soft key goes back to normal presentation.

Fly safely

Dave_Phillips wrote:

Nope. Once you have viewed the alert the soft key goes back to normal presentation.

In Garmin’s simulator running software version 0563.29 it does not as long as the alert remains.

30 Posts
Sign in to add your message