Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glasses / spectacles and medicals (merged)

I finally decided to try varifocals after I found myself always wearing shirts with two chest pockets - one for the reading glasses and one for the sunglasses - and swapping constantly between the two.

I found that varifocals made me feel quite tired and queasy at first - there is a slight "fishbowl" effect. I started by using them just for driving, and then built up to using them on longer flights. I now find that I hardly notice them, except that I feel a great lightness when I remove them. But the convenience they provide outweighs the issues.

My first pair was from an independent optician, the more recent set was from Specsavers. Not much between the two, if I'm honest.

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

I have to wear sunglasses in the plane because most of the time the light is too bright.

Justine has interesting sunglasses: they have little near-vision areas at the bottom. They are brilliant for somebody who doesn't really need long distance glasses but needs them for reading.

I need some long distance improvement but can see easily well enough just by correcting the astigmatism and having otherwise zero power. The problem with the small near-vision spots is that one needs to turn one's head all the time - it is no good for an instrument scan.

If only one could get executive bifocals whose long distance area extends downwards on the LH side...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You can get D-Seg bifocals in different sizes where the number refers to the width of the add segment in mm

D-25, D-28, D-35 and D-40

Most shopticans will only sell you D-28 but all the others are available.

I am currently resolving the problem by opening the Cessna window and reading the map at arm distance.

Useful thread, I need to go to the optician

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

Many just go for reading glasses only, which is a bit of a faff, and not sure it would be permitted in aviation (put on to read instrument/charts. Remove to look out the window).

I tried $800 Varifocals (like looking through a tube for me), then had them reworked into bifocals (kept 'em but never wear 'em) before deciding that disposable contacts plus cheap reading glasses works best for me in the air. One reason is that you can adjust the height of the readers for different aircraft and phases of flight. Another is the far and peripheral vision above the readers being unimpeded by frames.

No issues with legality for me, and if there were I'd do it anyway. I do have one advantage in that I have no astigmatism (hard to fix with contacts) and if I lose all vision correction and revert to natural vision I have one nearsighted eye and one far sighted eye. I can fly that way but its not comfortable.

I smiled when I read Peter's comment about 'Sun Readers'... I bought six different pairs at once for $100 or something, tried them all and found the best pair. These don't work well for my flying (split line's too low for my panel) but they are perfect for motorcycling in Europe, where I need to see the GPS. I can't even tell I'm using them.

A vote from me for Varifocals - I've been wearing them for the last 20+ years, I just wish they would automatically roll inverted when working under an instrument panel:-) I've now reached certain age when the prescription doesn't change - it's just that the glasses get so scratched after a while I don't need a hood for IMC training! I suppose I've got the kind of eyes that suit these type of glasses because I know many people who can't get on with them.

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

Not all varifocals are equal in fact far from it.

None tolerance with something like a pair of Zeiss individuals is pretty rare but they don't come cheap.

And regardless of the varifocal lens used they also have to be fitted appropriately into an appropriate frame.

Peter what about these would they not offer move distance vision down to the left than your current executive bifs.

Bateman @ # 17. Exactly right. The point I was rabbiting on about at #08. With VF choosing the type, prescribing and fitting has to be done right.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Peter what about these would they not offer move distance vision down to the left than your current executive bifs.

Very likely yes.

I will give it a try, with an online optical shop first to prove the concept, because glasses with fancy thin frames etc which fit under the headset (e.g. Silhouette) are about £300.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message