Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Odds of getting medically certified with a latent bipolar diagnosis?

I was diagnosed with latent bipolar disorder after I went crazy and tried to kill myself due to an antidepressant I was taking. That was when I was eight years old, I am now 17. I have not had any bipolar symptoms while off of medication (latent bipolar means they see signs that you MAY developed bipolar later, but haven’t yet, and they have simply diagnosed you before hand. Evidently “innocent until proven guilty” doesn’t bear much weight in the administration of life-altering diagnoses). If things continue like this, do I stand much chance in the way of acquiring medical certification in Europe, perhaps going through more frequent screenings to confirm the disorder does not manifest itself? I am aware that the prospects for bipolar people in the way of aviation medical certification are not particularly hopeful, but I feel this is a special case on account of my being pre-diagnosed with this disorder, without it having actually manifested itself.

I would probably not consider a professional career, the odds are stacked against you. The market is full with young ATPL holders and the Germanwings incident hasn’t really helped as it was a case where the authorities did let somebody with a past diagnosis back in the cockpit.

As to aviation as a personal hobby — I’d surely try it.

PS: Is “DarkeningSky” a smart nick name for somebody with your background and aspirations?

Last Edited by achimha at 29 Jul 16:47

I suppose this might be a sensitive topic following the GermanWings accident. Why don’t you just go to a flight surgeon and discuss your particular situation with him?

I do not remember all of the questions in the questionnaire (medical history) you fill out beforehand, but I believe there are some questions about pre-existing mental disorders. You should answer these questions truthfully.

I am not sure how bipolar disorder is categorised, but here is an excerpt from AMC for class 1 medical (commercial pilots). Class 2 is more permissive.

AMC1 MED.B.055 Psychiatry
e) Mood disorder
An established mood disorder is disqualifying. After full recovery and after full consideration of an individual case a fit assessment may be considered, depending on the characteristics and gravity of the mood disorder. If a stable maintenance psychotropic medication is confirmed, a fit assessment should require a multi-pilot limitation.

The full document is here:“https://easa.europa.eu/document-library/acceptable-means-of-compliance-and-guidance-materials/part-med-amc-gm”

If you are not pursuing a professional flying carreer, it is not unlikely that you may obtain a class 2 medical despite your history.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 29 Jul 17:09
LFPT, LFPN

@DarkeningSky – which country are you in? If you are in the USA, the answers will differ.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter I am in the USA, but contemplating moving to Germany. I am hesitant to apply for a medical here, as getting denied for one would prevent me from substituting a driver’s license for it, which is permissible for smaller aircraft.

Does a Class two medical/private license have any restrictions on flying for monetary compensation, or is it only restrictive as to the type of aircraft one can fly?

The answer will be different to some extent depending on whether you are going for FAA or EASA certification.

Much will depend on what the reason was you were started on the antidepressant and what the ‘going crazy’ entailed.

You will clearly need to be able to provide detailed reports on what happened in the past and you will need an assessment with a psychiatrist to determine how you are now, how the previous episode needs to be gauged in relation to future risk.

Does a Class two medical/private license have any restrictions on flying for monetary compensation, or is it only restrictive as to the type of aircraft one can fly.

I do not ask myself that question very often. In Europe there are only two classes of medicals as opposed to three in the US. Class 1 is for commercial pilots and class 2 for private pilots. In the US IIRC you can fly for hire with a class 2 but to exercise the ATPL privileges as PIC you need a class 1. Class 3 is for private pilots.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 29 Jul 21:01
LFPT, LFPN

I am in the USA, but contemplating moving to Germany. I am hesitant to apply for a medical here, as getting denied for one would prevent me from substituting a driver’s license for it, which is permissible for smaller aircraft.

My suggestion is to fly Light Sport in the U.S. now and forget the medical issue. Contemplation does not equal intent and by the time you’ve flown Light Sport for a while in the U.S, lots of things may change. Seize the day, now.

Are you looking to fly commercially or privately? Generally speaking, as you’ll be aware, a diagnosis of bipolar disorder is a contraindication to a medical. But any diagnosis made at such a young age will always be fraught. Unfortunately at 17 you may not yet be old enough for any psychiatrist to build up a firm picture of what your long-term mental health is likely to be like.

Be aware that there are two different manuals of diagnostic criteria in use in the US or Europe (DSM v. ICD) so a diagnosis made in one country may not correspond to the same diagnosis in the other. There are also different ‘fashions’ – not directly relevant to you, but American kids are an order of magnitude more likely to be diagnosed and medicated for ADHD than British kids. Also the US insurance system also forces people’s hands in making diagnoses – in the UK it would sometimes be possible for a psychiatrist to say ‘I think I need to see this kid again, but I don’t want to label them with a diagnosis’, where in the US this probably wouldn’t be funded.

All in all then, it’s a complicated enough question that you’re not going to get an answer here. My feeling is that you’d be better off biting the bullet and getting an American medical, even if it means getting an American psychiatrist to pronounce on whether you should still have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder on your record. Trying to get a German psychiatrist to interpret an American diagnosis will always be difficult when your medical record differs not just in language but also philosophy. If the American psychiatrist says ‘no’ you could then try the German psychiatrist to see whether they’re more lenient.

If you’re thinking of getting a commercial licence, I’d suggest doing an university degree first. By the time you’re in your early 20s it’ll be much easier to form an impression of how you’re likely to do in the longer term. Hopefully well. Also, you’ll have an insurance policy for if it all somehow doesn’t work out.

21 Posts
Sign in to add your message